Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

possible fraud

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Default possible fraud

Two days my 2000 Cadillac Seville(70,000m) had the engine overheat and no heat came out the vents. Also the display said there was no oil in the car yet there was oil in the car.I took it back to the used car dealer since it is still under there warranty and they said they fixed the problem. They said it was a busted belt.My concern is ,could it be the head gasket and they just dont want to fix it due to high cost. My warranty will be done in 2 months. Could they mask this problem for the time bieng untill there are off the hook? Are there any signs I should look for if it is the head gasket.If by chance it was my water pump drivebelt why would the car have no heat? I get the car tommorow.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: possible overheat

ORIGINAL: psuperstar

Two days my 2000 Cadillac Seville(70,000m) had the engine overheat and no heat came out the vents. Also the display said there was no oil in the car yet there was oil in the car.I took it back to the used car dealer since it is still under there warranty and they said they fixed the problem. They said it was a busted belt.My concern is ,could it be the head gasket and they just dont want to fix it due to high cost. My warranty will be done in 2 months. Could they mask this problem for the time bieng untill there are off the hook? Are there any signs I should look for if it is the head gasket.If by chance it was my water pump drivebelt why would the car have no heat? I get the car tommorow.

I dont know of any way one can mask an overheat.

When did you buy the car?
Dealer purchase?
What is the warranty on it?

Why are you calling it fraud? You may want to edit the title until we know what is going on here.

I know its difficult to find a hill in Buffalo, but that's one of the best ways to stress an engine and see if it overheats. Find a long hill and push the car hard for as long as possible.

Another option .. you know anyone with a dyno? Run her on a dyno.

If it overheats, there are ways to test the head gaskets, go to our FAQ section.
At any case, a 2000 should have the coolant changed if it hasnt already .. why?
again, look in our FAQ section.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Default RE: possible fraud

I bought the car 35 days ago from a used car dealer. The warranty is for three months in which the dealer stated he would take care of any repair during this period. So far the power windows had to be fixed and the water pump. The car having no heat when the engine overheated is what concerns me. They stated to me they changed all the fluids in the car upon inspection. I dont know if there has been a fraudulent act committed that is why I stated, is it possible for them to mask a gasket problem until the warranty runs out.Are there any nuances that I need to look out for if it is a gasket and not just a belt . I will try her out on hill though , thank you Stealth.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: psuperstar

I bought the car 35 days ago from a used car dealer. The warranty is for three months in which the dealer stated he would take care of any repair during this period. So far the power windows had to be fixed and the water pump. The car having no heat when the engine overheated is what concerns me. They stated to me they changed all the fluids in the car upon inspection. I dont know if there has been a fraudulent act committed that is why I stated, is it possible for them to mask a gasket problem until the warranty runs out.Are there any nuances that I need to look out for if it is a gasket and not just a belt . I will try her out on hill though , thank you Stealth.
THAT is expected if your coolant is low. There is not enough to flow into the heater core.
The question is .. why was the coolant low?

Before you take that stress run, make doubly sure the system is FULL, burp out any air, etc.
If you do that and the sysem is low when you get back, checking it after cooling down, then I be worried.

So far, for all we know, the kid assigned to fill the coolant system didnt complete the job.

ANY codes?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 AM

he said the dealer said it was a borken belf, correct me if i am wrong but i believe if the water pump belt breaks there is no coolant circulation, IE-the heated coolant is sitting, not moving through the core. over heating motor, without heat, and a broken waterpump belt on a N* is easy to miss because of the beauty cover. check to see if there is a new belt on the water pump, there is no way to mask an over heating car, as for the no oil warning, its probably a bad level sensor, i know bonnevilles had a problem with them going bad, not too sure if the N*'s shared that same issue

Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

I am not sure what was meant by "busted belt", but a broken belt would have made the car undrivable.
no power steering, no coolant, no alternator, nothing ..

the dash would have been lit up with warnings and codes.

when the belt breaks, car stops.