Cadillac EXT The functionality of a pickup truck combined with the space of an SUV and the Cadillac luxury

Faulty door handles on 2007 Escalade

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Default Cadillac Solution to Problem-Customer shares the Cost

I'm impressed with the other Cadillac owners who are also willing to "stick to their guns" on this issue. Having a 2008 Escalade with just under 60,000 miles and my FOURTH broken handle is proof enough that there is a REAL problem. Perhaps they should consider a recall? I understand that there has to be a "safety issue" for such a thing to happen....

In that case, consider all the safety issues of having a handle break on a vehicle.

Get back to us all Michele from Customer Service when you guys are willing to act like the name you once were.

CADILLAC....a brand once remembered as being a cut above the others and WORTH the difference we all paid to have one!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Maybe the people working for Cadillac should read this?

Cadillac Inspiration

Leland wanted a car that was reliable but featured a higher standard of workmanship and comforts not found with his rivals' cars. Eschewing the tradition of naming the car after himself, he wanted a name that denoted nobility, albeit on a less class-conscious scale.

Cadillac quickly gained a reputation for specializing in precise craftsmanship and for using standardized parts. The success of early Cadillacs like the Model A and the "30" made the brand a sales success, so much so that the automaker was purchased by General Motors in 1909. The marque became GM's luxury division, and its list of innovations grew. Cadillac was the first U.S. auto manufacturer to produce a V8, the first to use thermostatic control of a cooling system and the first to offer dash-controlled headlights. During the 1930s, the brand earned a strong reputation for producing powerful and smooth V12 and V16 engines.

Owned by General Motors, Cadillac is America's most prestigious domestic luxury automaker. For most of its existence, the company was known exclusively for its cushy, senior-friendly sedans, but in more recent years the automaker has revised and expanded its lineup in a successful effort to attract a new, younger generation. Cadillac's roster now includes SUVs (its Escalade is a favorite of both rappers and suburban moms), a crossover and even a high-performance wagon.

Last edited by texascaddymom; 10-17-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM

I apologize for your frustrations about this, texascaddymom. I also apologize that my multiple private messages have not been delivered to you as I have sent at least three of them requesting additional information to investigate your concerns with your Escalade. My offer still stands. If you would like me to research things on my end about your vehicle please send me an e-mail to michelle_renee@gmexpert.com.

The complaints on the this thread have been saved within the system which means many departments within General Motors and Cadillac can read them.

Michelle, Cadillac Customer Service

Last edited by Cadillac Customer Service; 10-19-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Fixed a word.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Default Customer Service response

My apologies, Michelle in Customer Service for not noticing your (1) response dated on 10-1-2012 in a private message to me. I only saw the one, so if "3 were sent to me" as you state, there may be a glich in your system that needs to be fixed.

Here's what I got:

Cadillac Customer Service 10-1-2012
Dear texascaddymom,

I apologize you feel I have "disappeared" in which I haven't. I'm more than happy to try to assist you with the door handles in your Escalade; however, I will need the following information;
-Your first and last name
-Your contact information to include your address, telephone number and e-mail address
-Your VIN and current mileage on the vehicle
-The name and location of the dealership(s) that have been involved with this
-Any additional details from the time that this has begun to current

Once I get the above information, I will be able to proceed. Also keep in mind, in any of our processes the vehicle needs to be diagnosed by a GM dealership within the last 30 days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the sake of everyone who has a problem with these handles breaking, I would like to know the following:

1. Why does Cadillac/GM feel there is a problem with the handles breaking?
2. Why is Cadillac/GM replacing them with the same handle?
3. Why does Cadillac/GM need further information from the CUSTOMER before they will fix the existing problem?
4. Why does Cadillac/GM feel the CUSTOMER should pay a "negotiated" amount for replacing these handles?
5. Has Cadillac/GM considered a recall for this problem?

Please advise as soon as possible so that we may all better understand why Customer Service at Cadillac/GM feels this problem should need more "red tape" before you can resolve it satisfactorily for the CUSTOMER.

Thank you

Last edited by texascaddymom; 10-18-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 AM

At least you received an answer from someone. I am scheduled to have my tird handle replaced on Monday and getting my wallet ready for another few hundred dollars less. UNless you complain a lot these people do not give a damn. BY my car and eat the poor workmanship should be Cadillacs motto.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Default 2008 Cadillac Escalade Broken Handles

I want to apologize again to the customer service rep, Michelle for taking my frustrations out on HER....I am only angry at Cadillac/GM and she is simply caught in the middle of this. I'm certain she is a very nice person, however.

This was part of her response (below) to my previous questions which are directed at Cadillac/GM:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The information you desire is something I don't have access to for various reasons to include I'm not a technician at a dealership. I apologize if that inconveniences you or you are not satisfied with my efforts to assist. I wish you the best with your vehicle situation and I hope one day we will be able to assist you again!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is my hope that Michelle can forward these questions to the appropriate people within Cadillac/GM to address my questions properly. I get the distinct feeling what this boils down to with them is $$$$ and not the customer's satisfaction overall. In that case, I am certain this will be my LAST Cadillac. As I previously stated, I have owned the 2000, 2003, and now 2008 Escalades. It is very sad to watch a company who claims to be so "reliable" ignore a problem to this magnitude.

Last edited by texascaddymom; 10-19-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:48 AM

After a little thought I decided to forward my questions on to the CEO of GM, Dan Akerson. I found his email and mailing address after a little effort and hope he can enlighten me (for one) as to why they are ignoring this problem with the handles breaking. Will post again when I hear back.

Update: email address kicked back so printed and mailed to address in Detroit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: 10/13/2012
Got a letter back telling me to contact Customer Service! Looks like the CEO has more important things to deal with.

Last edited by texascaddymom; 11-13-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM

@tomden83, how did things go at the dealership?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Default Bad Door Handle Design

I too have a 2007 Cadillac Escalade and so far I have replaced 5 door handles. 2 on driver’s door and 1 each on all other doors. Seems as if there is a definite design flaw with these door handles. I have owned numerous vehicles over the years and have never replaced any door handles on any of them. My concern is that they look at miles on the vehicle to see if it is still under warranty. To me it would seem that a door handle doesn't know and care about how many miles are on the vehicle. If it is an inferior product or design it will break regardless of miles. This could be a safety factor also say for instance if one gets in a accident and rescue personnel tries to open the door and the door handle breaks how would they open the door to assist the occupants of the vehicle, just thinking.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Default Technical service bulletin

CUSTOMER SERVICE REP...PLEASE LET US KNOW IF THIS COVERS OUR PROBLEMS WITH THE HANDLE:

TECHNICAL*

Bulletin No.: 09-08-64-032

Date: September 25, 2009

Subject: Chrome Outside Door Handle Loose/Cracked at Attachment Screw (Replace Handle)

Models:*
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

Condition*

Some customers may comment that a chrome outside door handle is loose or cracked in the area of the attachment screws.

Cause*

This condition may be caused by grease used on the attachment screws during the assembly process, which can migrate into the handle screw bosses and cause degradation. Another contributing factor to this condition is that the initial assembly torque of the attachment screws was too high, which may have helped initiate cracks in the screw bosses.

Correction*

Important*
When replacing a chrome outside door handle for this condition, be sure to address the following: - Ensure that the attachment screws are free from grease before installing the new handle. Clean the screws with Kent Automotive Acrysol(TM), or an equivalent grease removing body solvent.*
- Torque the screws to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).*

Replace the affected chrome outside door handle. Refer to Front Side Door Outside Handle Replacement, Rear Side Door Outside Handle Replacement, or Rear Side Door Outside Handle Replacement (Crew Cab) in SI.

Parts Information*

Acrysol(TM) is available from Kent Automotive at 1-888-YES-KENT or online at*Kent Automotive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For others reading this, there is also a problem with the Suburbans having the same problem (google the TSB number above and you will find there are a LOT of people having this problem, though GM is ignoring it). Additionally, there is also a problem with the DOOR LOCKS/ACTUATORS. Guess what? I have that problem, TOO!!!

Last edited by texascaddymom; 11-13-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Faulty door handles on 2007 Escalade