General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is this smell??? It cant be good??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Default What is this smell??? It cant be good??

THe last timeI smelled anything like this smoke started comingout from under the hood on my grand am and the head gasket was blown. However this smell is not as sweet smelling and it is not as strong. I have not noticed any oil or AntiFreeze leaking. I took it to the mechanic with this concern once and he said i needed new hoses. However the smell is still present. It can only be smelled when walking by the front quarter panls on both sides or behind them if in a good wind. I cant smell it in the engine bay. This is just to damn wierd. I have also spilled a little oil when topping off but i would have expected it to burn off by now.

Any Ideas?

Touring Sedan
Man I love this car but it seems to have a lot of small problems. Can somebody point me in the direction of the coolant faq, i am going to be checking that tonight, or maybe on lunch.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: What is this smell??? It cant be good??

ORIGINAL: touringsedan

THe last timeI smelled anything like this smoke started comingout from under the hood on my grand am and the head gasket was blown. However this smell is not as sweet smelling and it is not as strong. I have not noticed any oil or AntiFreeze leaking. I took it to the mechanic with this concern once and he said i needed new hoses. However the smell is still present. It can only be smelled when walking by the front quarter panls on both sides or behind them if in a good wind. I cant smell it in the engine bay. This is just to damn wierd. I have also spilled a little oil when topping off but i would have expected it to burn off by now.

Any Ideas?

Touring Sedan
Man I love this car but it seems to have a lot of small problems. Can somebody point me in the direction of the coolant faq, i am going to be checking that tonight, or maybe on lunch.

you will find the major FAQ topics, including the coolant right here:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/forumid_64/tt.htm

maybe you can describe the smell? oil and coolant dont smell alike.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 AM

I will post with a desciption of the smell after i have driven home from work, as I can only smell it after it has been driven. Talk to you all latter tonight.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 PM

SO after I get home and i bend down by the wheel wells i cant smell the usual odor. I opened the hood and i still coudnt smell the odor. SO i checked the antifreeze and it looked red in color with what I can only compare in likeness to, off the top of myhorriblly descriptive memory, flakes of dead skin cells floating in it. Other wise it looked very clean and almost clear. Have no idea what the previous owner maintained coolent with as it was bought used from a dealer. However coolant level is at the max fill level. I will keep an eye on it and see if it goes down. I also do not see where i could put any Bars Leak in the system. If anyone knows where to access for this on a 99sts i would appreciate it. otherwise I will evaluate and report back with any changes.

Touring Sedan