General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Question fuel system

Having several issues with my 96 deville. First when engine is cold (overnight) it usually takes 3 to 7 attempts to start. At which point it runs rough for 30 seconds or so the smooths out. Second is that it is now stalling. First it started stalling when you relieced the fuel peddle coming to a stop. Now it is stalling even when going down the road. To restart you have to turn the key off, turn it back on listen for the pump to p[rime then start engine, even then it sometimes take a couple minutes to start back up. If i turn the key on and let it set sor a minute I hear the intial priming of the pump last several seconds then within about 10 seconds I hear a moter running(asume it is fuel pump) but it sounds like it is not picking up fuel (starving) and it does not stop till i turn off the key. When the engine dies I hear this same sound. It is coming form the area of the fuel pump. It does not sound the same as when the fuel pump first primes itself.
The engine stalling is getting worse. it will sometimes only run for a minute before stalling. By pumping the gas I can sometimes keep it running at about 300 to 400 rpms for a minute or 2.
What might my issue be? fuel pump, FPR, fuel filter (just put dry gas in)