General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charging system SMELL 95 STS

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Default charging system SMELL 95 STS

While driving in snow the gauges started going haywire and, there was a buzzing noise in the dash or under the hood. I made it home and the 95 sts would not start. I had the battery checked and o'reilly said it was bad so I replaced it . It ran fine a couple of days. Then I got no charge messages, so I figure it is the Alternator but, before I tackle that I wondered If anyone has had this experience that comes with an awful SMELL. Like a metallic burning smell. I didn't see any smoke.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Default charging system SMELL 95 STS

While driving in snow the gauges started going haywire and, there was a buzzing noise in the dash or under the hood. I made it home and the 95 sts would not start. I had the battery checked and o'reilly said it was bad so I replaced it . It ran fine a couple of days. Then I got no charge messages, so I figure it is the Alternator but, before I tackle that I wondered If anyone has had this experience that comes with an awful SMELL. Like a metallic burning smell. I didn't see any smoke.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Terry Marmino
when a ground starts going bad there is often some ARCING where a electrical current actually jumps across a tiny air gap .. the sound it makes is like a bee and the smell usually matches the metal its jumping ...

circuit breakers only respond to overloads and short circuits; so they do not protect against arcing conditions that produce erratic current ...

the ARC should be readily visible in the dark .. so i suggest that you take a peak at night while duplicating the conditions that produced the problem, spot the connection with the problem, clean it, and coat it with di-electric grease ...

Last edited by Stealth; 02-15-2011 at 07:15 PM.