General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 ETC displays starter disabled code pcm 109&052

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Default 95 ETC displays starter disabled code pcm 109&052

I have a 1995 ETC that messaging me that the starter is disabled and I should take the key out and wait 3 minutes to start, but it doesn't. I checked the DTC and it displayed P109..keep alive memory reset PCM lost primary battery power and P052...PCM memory reset.
Is there a method to correct this problem on OBD 1 equipped cars without having it hauled to the dealer? Thank you

Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 AM

It sounds like full battery voltage is not getting to the PCM. Use a voltage meter to check the voltage at your battery. If that is 12.5 volts or better, then check the voltage from the battery negative to each of the fuses in the fuse blocks. Hopefully, it is just a bad connection somewhere that is causing a loss of volts.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2001_Seville_SLS
It sounds like full battery voltage is not getting to the PCM. Use a voltage meter to check the voltage at your battery. If that is 12.5 volts or better, then check the voltage from the battery negative to each of the fuses in the fuse blocks. Hopefully, it is just a bad connection somewhere that is causing a loss of volts.
Thank you... I will work on it and let you know what I come up with.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by sixturbo
Thank you... I will work on it and let you know what I come up with.
My old battery had only 10.6 volts so I put in a different battery with 12.6 volts. I checked voltage at the fuses and I have 12.25 to 12.30. The car still is starter disabled.
Do you have any other thoughts?
Thank you. Greg

Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

Pass Key fault - wont set codes on earlier models. Ignition cylinder most common cause, can be tested with dealer tool or OHM meter. If if you measure resistance of key by itself, then measure value at 2 small white wires on steering column wiring harness as cylinder is rotated. If reading drops out while cylinder is rotated - it is the cause. You will new new cylinder and correct key(s) blank. Blank will be the same as original, but it will be cut for new cylinder.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by slowroll
Pass Key fault - wont set codes on earlier models. Ignition cylinder most common cause, can be tested with dealer tool or OHM meter. If if you measure resistance of key by itself, then measure value at 2 small white wires on steering column wiring harness as cylinder is rotated. If reading drops out while cylinder is rotated - it is the cause. You will new new cylinder and correct key(s) blank. Blank will be the same as original, but it will be cut for new cylinder.
Thank you.... I will work on it.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Red face

At the risk of sounding stupid how do you get the cylinder out and get at the wires you are refering to. I checked the service manual and it is not much help. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

The little white wires are in the block 6 inches or so from base of column. Wires are made to cylinder which have to be run down column and inserted in to connector, then connector is attached to block. Block halves then bolt together with 7mm bolt. If you have FSM go to pass-key or theft deterent section. Steering column repair is in section 3.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Thumbs up

The little white wires are in the block 6 inches or so from base of column. Wires are made to cylinder which have to be run down column and inserted in to connector, then connector is attached to block. Block halves then bolt together with 7mm bolt. If you have FSM go to pass-key or theft deterent section. Steering column repair is in section 3.
I finally got the car running again, The white wires were broken near the ignition cylinder. Problem solved.
Thank you