General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 STS Broken Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Default 01 STS Broken Motor Mount

I have owned my 01 STS for about 6 months. I bought it from a Cadillac dealership here in Colorado, and I had it checed out before I signed the paperwork... It had 94k miles on it so I also had the delaership do a compression test and everything checked out. Like I said i've owned the car for about 6 months and it now has 111k miles on it, so its evident that I drive a lot! Just in the past couple of days I've noticed that when I put it in gear there is a "thud" that comes from the front end...I had my cadillac mechanic (who I've used for yeard for only one thing...Oil changes! Virtually ZERO Maintance) take a look at it and he said it was a broken motor mount...I'd call myself a little more than a weekend mechanic and would like to fix this myself...Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 01 STS Broken Motor Mount

A cold engine would be nice. I rarely get that luxury.

The subframe must be lowered quite a bit to gain enough clearance to remove the mount and bracket.
If you take the radiator cooling fans out it will help you access the top bolts for the bracket.
I never do this, but without a lift and some cool tools i probably would.
Its a tricky job the first time so look it over before you jump right in.

The new mount should come with a heat shield that is not on the old one(revised) of course it comes with an extra charge.

Good luck.