Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

New guy with his 1st Caddy and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Default New guy with his 1st Caddy and questions

I just bought this 85 Eldorado with the HT4100 engine and 62K miles on it. I love the way this car rides, it is the Touring Coupe, but, when I first hit the brakes it seems the travel of the brake pedal is a bit far from what I'm used to...is this normal?
The fella I bought it off of had the brake lines purged and refilled but I'm thinking he didn't bleed them properly. Also...
How do I adjust the shifter linkage so I don't have to go down to D and back up to R for it to engage reverse, and also it has to go down to D and back up to N for it to be in Drive. I'm thinking it should be just a linkage adjustment.

OH, and on the A/C, he wired the compressor direct to the battery and it blows cold, (just to diagnose and troubleshoot) but when I use the A/C it doesn't blow cold at all, it just blows air, what can I check to correct THIS problem?

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: New guy with his 1st Caddy and questions

ORIGINAL: starydr

I just bought this 85 Eldorado with the HT4100 engine and 62K miles on it. I love the way this car rides, it is the Touring Coupe, but, when I first hit the brakes it seems the travel of the brake pedal is a bit far from what I'm used to...is this normal?
The fella I bought it off of had the brake lines purged and refilled but I'm thinking he didn't bleed them properly. Also...
How do I adjust the shifter linkage so I don't have to go down to D and back up to R for it to engage reverse, and also it has to go down to D and back up to N for it to be in Drive. I'm thinking it should be just a linkage adjustment.

OH, and on the A/C, he wired the compressor direct to the battery and it blows cold, (just to diagnose and troubleshoot) but when I use the A/C it doesn't blow cold at all, it just blows air, what can I check to correct THIS problem?

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

1. I be bleeding the brakes system all four wheels, all the fluid replaced. buy a gallon of DOT3.

2. Unless you got verification that the coolant was changed within the last year, properly done, I be DRAINING the system and doing a replenish yesterday. Your '85 4100 is prone to issues if you DON'T do that well. i refer you to the FAQ section for instructions.

3. adjust linkage .. someone will come along with that.

4. A/C .. check fuses? system works on over ride, so is not the compressor and internal system.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

Welcome new caddy owner: About your brakes, maybe they are just in need of adjustment. Try this before you do anything. Find a quiet stretch of road, put her in reverse and travel about thirty to fourty mph in reverse. Apply the brakes as heavily as you can without making the wheels lock up. Do this about three time and see if that improves your pedal play. If the shift indicator is off it's mark then the adjustment is on the steering column under a cover panel. If the tranny linkage is in need of adjustment then that is right near the tranny. You loosen off the nut and slide the rod through the bracket then retighten again.As far as your air, believe me it can be quite a number of things. One can spend a lot of time going over the whole system. Best get a service manual so you understand what it is your seeing and doing.Took me a long time to work through all the issues I had. Go to WWW. AutoRepairManuals.biz and get yourself a factory repair manual. You will have to spend a few bucks but will never regret it if you plan to fix your old girl yourself. Enjoy your ride.............

Old 10-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Tech Certified Members

Car is built with 4 wheel disc brakes.Rear brakes adjust with parking brake.Quick check.... does parking park hold,if not in gear with right foot on brake pump parking brake pedal with left foot 10-20 times.See park brake will hold.If not most likely need new rear calipers because actuator(s)frozen.If parking brake works, it maybe normal, brake pedal does tend to have a soft feel about it. Shifter may have worn or missing bushings on linkage under hood. One bushing is round and other obong try dealer for bushings.A/C need more info.hope it helps