Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

2000 eldorado battery drain, (speakers hissing when car is off)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Post 2000 eldorado battery drain, (speakers hissing when car is off)

Hi, I am new to this forum and am having a hard time looking for this battery drain issue for my 2000 eldorado.

I've been looking for it for the past week and in the process replaced the body controlled module (PZM) ,a power back up relay, battery , and a new alternator. It has been a headache, but I really need some help because this is just a fantastic car. It has been drawing about 2 amps when the car is off, and from what i understand that is alot!

I pulled the comfort fuse in the trunk and the drain went away, noticing the speakers were literally popping when i was plugging it back in. so with all fuses plugged in i then remove the radio/phone fuse and the same thing happened! and the amps went down to .12 amps. That is when I noticed all four speakers were quietly hissing when the ignition is in the off position! I have no phone in the car nor has one ever been from the factory. Is it a bad relay stuck on or something, maybe the accessory time delay relay (which i cant find) under the drivers seat?

I know now that it has to do directly with the speakers always hissing (staying on) that is whats killing my battery. how do I fix it?
-much appreciated!!

Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM

could it be a bad ignition switch not distributing the power correctly?

I sat in the car when I pulled the key out for 15 minuets and the radio played for 10 of those minuets, after the radio shut off and a few other things like the power antenna then everything went silent EXCEPT for the hissing speakers, all four of them so i know that the amplifiers aren't bad either.

could it be bad connections to the head unit changing the flow of power?

Old 06-05-2014, 12:39 PM

through further investigation i have found the problem!!, a corroded harness that was unplugged next to the power antenna! My guess was that the plug went to a cd changer, i want to get one but ill have to splice in another harness when i put it in, if it even is the cd changer! when the car is off and i am reading the body 3 maxi fuse i am reading about .16 amps which is fantastic!

I think putting my thoughts on this forum helped me out in the investigation of the car!