Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

96 Eldorado ETC starting problem; dead battery, power drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Default 96 Eldorado ETC starting problem; dead battery, power drain

Vehicle runs fine. No error messages or check engine lite, long as you drive it everyday. If I let it sit for more than a day the car is dead with no power. Soon as hook up cables for a jump it starts right up, Unless let it sit for several days or weeks then it requires a significant amount of time to charge back up before it will start.

I replaced with a brand new top of line battery and still experience the same problems.

Initial deductive reasonsing says something is draining battery at very low level or perhaps a bad ground? From past experience I think ther are possibly some ignition items that may cause similary symptoms, but don't recall any that created a drained battery or the effect of.

Anyone have similar issue or thoughts on this. I've spent good hour searching forum for similar scenario, but don't find anything similar.
Thanks
LL~

=======
mod edit
title

Last edited by Stealth; 06-13-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Default RE: 96 Eldorado ETC starting problem

hey i have a 97 etc and had the same problem it was the alternator....check that and the starter

matt

Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 PM

wow someone finally responded lol.. Thanks for your input. My alternator is good charges fine and tests out fine. Starter don't have any starting problems other than battery being drained..

Still trying to figure this one out. I'm leaning towards a stuck relay somewhere as interestingly enough last time I disconnected negative cable so it would not drain it over night, Upon reconnecting negative cable it gave off a lot of spark when putting mount bolt back in (side mount battery) Normally it would spark a little and I would hear a clicking from other side of car (relay I was told) Well this time it didn't do that.

Now it's still got a minor drain I think, but I can go whole weekend without it draining battery down completly. Although I'm still a little weary for Winter. Weather has warmed up here, but I'm afraid when winter comes the cold that usually drops battery levels won't hold.

Right now after shutdown period of 15-20 min batter sits at 11.4-11.7 and will drop to 11.0-11.4. Lowest I've seen it go since.. Prior to that battery was sitting at 10.8 after shutdown period and dropping to 9.6-9.8 taking a few cranks before it would start..

I did take it to a shop, but I think they were idiots. I was not impressed with what was explained to me they did and I think they failed to do competent troubleshooting techniques.

They supposedly tested the diods on alternator and it's got a new battery. They also changed the BCM (they thought it wasn't shutting down, tried to tell them it was and course it wasn't as easy as the BCM)

I got a mechanic I found thats going to get with me and were going to try and track it down with a milliamp and go fuse by fuse etc..

well this rant got long and I could go on and on, but doesn't seem like anyone wants to touch this subject, much like the idiot shop I took my car too lol..
Peace..

Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Default Same Problem on my 97 ETC

I am having the exact same problem with my 97 ETC.

Did you ever find the problem?

Thanks,

Old 06-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

this is a typical e-drain, usually created by a pull down (trunk) or a power door lock.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Im glad to see Im not the only one having this problem! Sorry about your luck though. I have been having this problem ever since I had the head gaskets fixed at the local Caddy dealership, the same week I had a Viper alarm installed from Dukes Car Stereo. One of these places are probally the cause but whatever. I need the solution!! Ive disconnected my stereo system, so I know its not that.

Heres the real kicker, once a year I have to return the battery for a new one because it dies!!! The car parts place is a little suspisious.... Oh well a warrenty is a warrenty! Anyhow, Whats the problem here? If we all are having this problem then its gotta be a simple fix.

These cars have more wires than a NASA rocket!!