Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Installed OP gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Default Installed OP gauge

I've installed an oil-pressure gauge and now I have a concern aboutwhat it's telling me. This engine is less than 100mi from having 95k on it. Since I've had the car, 35k of those are mine. I never wondered about OP until I went into the paramiters to see what itshowed and found nothing about oil! Surprise on me.During a 120mi trip at interstate speeds, the reading is under 20psi. That is in overdrive,and I don't know the RPM at 70mph/OD. This engine has always beenquiet as a mouse and smooth-running as a lazy-river, even after a long trip at speed. According to the FSM, the max hot psi should be 30psi and around 12psi at idle. I was astounded there was nothing about oil in the OBD-1 system. (Maybe that changed inOBD-2?) I installed the gauge using a 'T' at the OPS port on the adapter with the piping out the top of the'T'. Not exactly in the direct oil-flow, so I'm wondering whether/not that might make a difference in accurate readings? (pressure should be equal but..) I've always installed an OP gauge directly to the engines' switch port withouta sender, but this engine has the filter adapter.I don't know if I can take the switch out of the loop altogether or not? The OPS has never activated other than at key-On. I'm concerned about this low psi reading, but should I be? If this was my truck, I would very-much be, but this is a different animal.A weakpump be the prime suspect. The previous owner, my 80+yr old mother wasn't much of a racer and kept her cars in good shape, but the 5yrs previous to me buying the car, it wasn't driven very much at all and most probably not maintained. I'm still having a leak problem, which is getting worse and that I believe is a bad rear-main seal. Would a bad seal reflect in the OP reading? That leak is getting into the 'severe' catagory.... Thank you for any thoughts with this gauge reading business, I do appreciate the effort.