Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

grinding noise when driving slow or stopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Default grinding noise when driving slow or stopping

Hi,
I have a 1990 sedan deville with 211,000 miles on it. I just had new front brakes/brakelines/rotors and a new serpentine belt put on about 2 months ago.

In the last few weeks, I've noticed a grinding noise when I slow down at intersections, or when I'm driving slow through neighborhoods. Also, sometimes when I come to a complete stop, there is grinding, and then a CLUNK when I come to a complete stop.
I also notice the noise when I slow down to make turns.

Any idea what this might be?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Default RE: grinding noise when driving slow or stopping

I had a brake noise issue once on my minivan and it turned
out to be inferior pads. Your problem sounds
more serious though.

Did a mechanic do the brake job for you?
I would have him/her check it out.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 AM

A mechanic did do the work. I have an appt for him to look at it Thursday. I'm worried that if it IS the brakes, since it's been almost 2 months since the work was done, that they will not cover it

Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Take a look at your receipt.
I think most mechanics have at least a 90 day repair warranty
on parts and labor. The inspection should be free as well.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

suspects:

wheel bearings 1st, specially if the rotor was not installed properly and bearings not packed.

brakes 2nd .. with new rotors, doubt it .. if this is it, stand firm for warranty replacement, unless you ride it on the track at 150 mpg.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 PM

I just got a call from the mechanic. Turns out both of my back drum brakes need replacing...along with the shoes and cylinders...I guess they are all pretty bad and worn. He said it will cost around $270.
Does this seem like a fair price?

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

I find it odd that 2 months later you are told rear brakes needed? When brakes are done by a reputable shop ALL brakes are looked at and percentages given. In other words, front brakes 5% remain rears 10% remain, as an example. Then the consumer can make an intelligent decision. I'm sure the rear brakes were very thin 2 months ago. Have him save all parts which is your right. thin shoes are easily confirmed when compared to new. Wheel cylinders are insurance because of the hi mileage on the car. Price seems fair, at least in relation to here where labor is 100.00 an hour.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM

jenne,

Just curious. How long have you owned this car? Do you know the service history?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with carnut they should have looked 2 months ago BUT lets not be too hard on the shop here. I mean maybe he did just what was needed or asked atthe time trying to save the customer a few bucks. Rear drums don't do much braking anyway, its not like there was a risk of accident. Once the problem presented itself it is being taken care of. The price is fair imo.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Jasper,
I have owned the car for 11 years. Most of the service records are in a file, but to my knowledge, this is the first time [that I can remember ] the brakes being worked on. I could be wrong. I've put 70,000 miles on it in those 11 years. The car's been pretty good to me, averaging 24mpg...I commute 80+ miles every day for work, so I'm glad it's still running

My brakes are awesome now. much tighter than they've ever been. I test drove a 1996 deville last night and the brakes felt very soft on that car to me [even though their service records show they just had front + back brakes all redone in june of this year]. Also, it seemed the '96 had less get-up-and-go than my '90. It has perfect exterior/interior with 83k miles and they're asking $4950...which is a little above bluebook. It's just hard to think of driving another car after I've had mine so long

Quick Reply: grinding noise when driving slow or stopping