Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

98 Deville Starting Problem

Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Default 98 Deville Starting Problem

I have a 98 Deville that's been sitting for a couple months which I'm preparing to put back on the road. Of course the car won't start, you can expect that after sitting. It was just a click.... try again... click. I tried charging... nothing... 2 days ago I put in a new Bosch battery... nothing... so I figured it was the starter. Took the old starter out and got it tested, it was bad. So bought a new remanufactured starter from Autozone and had it tested before leaving... never heard a starter work so good! I installed the new one and VOILA!! it started right up! ...buuuuut i heard tapping and checked the oil, it was very low. So last night I decided to do a Royal Purple oil change. The Cadi started right up again for me to drive it up on the ramps... did the oil change with no problems... went in the car and turned the accessory on and reset the oil life... went to start the car to take it off the ramps.... CLICK.... try again... CLICK... again!..... CLICK!! it's acting the same way before I replaced the starter! the battery was reading 12.6 volts on the dash... all interior lights and headlights are brighter than the sun, so I don't think the battery died from a measley hood light. I tried a battery charger anyway on the "engine start" setting... CLICK.. ..the only current code is C1234 which is "Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Open or Shorted"... I don't even know what that means but at least to me, it doesn't sound like anything to do with it.. this code was current beforeI replaced anything...I checked all fuses in engine compartment and trunk, the only blown one was a cigarette lighter....I mean there's a starter relay, butI don't know how to tell if it's good or bad.. any suggestions? Take the starter back to Autozone to see if it was a faulty remanufacture?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 98 Deville Starting Problem

Hey sicks, Slowroll has addressed this problem many times. Did you check your cables out thoroughly, particularly the ground on the engine block. any discoloration should be checked out. Remove and clean contact points at all locations.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Default RE: 98 Deville Starting Problem

Sorry for not reading through. Ok, I'll give that a whirl after work. I mean i did notice a little rusty red discoloration on the positive terminal. I'll let you know how it turned out. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default E-GHOST Proofing

I have a 98 Deville that's been sitting for a couple months which I'm preparing to put back on the road. Of course the car won't start, you can expect that after sitting.

Two things ..

1. read the FAQ section "eghosts", has hints on how to e-ghost proof your car.

2. Every car i got will start after sitting 3 to 6 months, no IFs no BUTs. I dont disconnect batteries, I dont do anything special except put the keys where i can find them. My Cadi often sits for weeks on end, silent, nothing special is ever done and always kicks over on command. I do NOT use ethanol.

Last year I just started a car that sat on jacks since 1986. The battery and fuel did get removed on that one and when a new battery got hooked up to it and a 5 gal can of fuel poured into it, started within 3 seconds of cranking.

The exception: parked at JFK for 3 weeks in Dec/Jan with -20F temps.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Default RE: E-GHOST Proofing

i checked each end of each wire and wire brushed em till they were sparkley copper and tightened em pretty good... aaaaand nada. i just can't explain it, all i can think is that the starter or solenoid was a faulty remanufacture. or maybe my car is trying to tell me i've got bad taste in oil! lol

Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Default RE: E-GHOST Proofing

Welp, I got the new starter tested and it was in fact a faulty remanufacture! Just picked upa brand new new one and will try it after work. I'm not messing with remanufactures anymore!