Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Starting problem 96 deville

Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Default Starting problem 96 deville

Hello i have a cadillac deville 1996, and i have problems starting the car sometimes, its random, but its been getting worse. I will turn over many many times before it will start like 10-15sec. I've been reading alot of post, and cant seem to figure it out. Things ivereplaced is.
1) fuel pump
2) ignition coils
3)spark plugs
4)wires
5)fuel filter
6)air filter
7)new battery

I brought it to a shop awhile ago for anouther problem and he said there was a code for crankshaft position sensor think this could be the problem? I also get a misfire code. when i start it there is no black smoke, runs like new once it starts. But sometimes it will backfire when i stop cranking when it sounds like its about to start. and it will smell like gas fumes all around the car. so i know its getting fuel. I dont know what else to really try and change to fix it. Any help will be much appreciated, Thanks.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Default RE: Starting problem 96 deville

Crankshaft position sensor could be an issue. Also sounds like a timing issue. Backfire is usually a sign of jumped time, but the car usually does not start, just spin and backfire. Have distributor checked. Also check fuel lines and filter. Heavy fuel fumes is not a confirmation of fuel delivery. Be careful about that you could have a leak.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

Have you checked fuel pressure regulator, for fuel leaking out nipple that vacuum hose attaches to?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM

I thought there wasnt any distributor, i might be wrong but i thought the ignition coils took place of a this. I replaced all 4 ignition coils. If i am wrong where is the distributor or are the ignition coils the distributor?I didnt check the fuel pressure regulator, ill check it tomorrow while at work.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: cadillacdeville1996

I thought there wasnt any distributor, i might be wrong but i thought the ignition coils took place of a this. I replaced all 4 ignition coils. If i am wrong where is the distributor or are the ignition coils the distributor?I didnt check the fuel pressure regulator, ill check it tomorrow while at work.
if it has ignition coils than it wont have a distributor.
check fuel pressure.
crank sensor is an issue get it replaced.
maybe starter is starting to go out.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 PM

The engine turns over like a champ like it should. So i dont believe its the starter. I installed the new battery because the old one wasnt turning it over as fast as i thought it should but with the new battery it turns over with plenty of power.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM

I just went outside to check the vacuumhose for the fuel pressure regulator there is no fuel coming out... but im not sure exactly what you ment, i take it 2 different ways, like is fuel leaking onto the hose and i also take it as is fuel coming out of the nipple it self. i checked if there was anything leaking onto the hose. should there be no fuel coming out of the FPR at all like say with the hose disconnected nothing should leak out at all, right?

P.S. I just went back outside and with the hose disconnected no fuel is leaking out. What should i try now? Should i still replace the FPR. I disconnected the vacuum hose while the car was running figuring thats when it should leak the most, if i am wrong let me know.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Tarrance

Crankshaft position sensor could be an issue. Also sounds like a timing issue. Backfire is usually a sign of jumped time, but the car usually does not start, just spin and backfire. Have distributor checked. Also check fuel lines and filter. Heavy fuel fumes is not a confirmation of fuel delivery. Be careful about that you could have a leak.
Sorry about that, (distributor) wasn't thinking. Had a 89 Caddy, thought it jumped time and turned out to be a broken rotor in the distributor. Wasn't firiring, just spinnedand did backfire. Charge it to my head.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

Are there any codes stored? If you have fuel pressure gauge what is pressure? Are coil towers rusted?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 PM

I dont have a fuel pressure gauge, ill have to go pick one up, there is a code pzm2713 or something, ill double check that. The coil packs are only 4 months old, so no there clean. What should the fuel pressure be? I replaced the fuel pump about 5 months ago after the fuel pump got a short. But the problem was before this for over a year and a half at the least. Ive been tring new things here and there. Doesnt effect me tomuch but i would like to not have to worry about it anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting problem 96 deville