Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

91 Deville interior electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Default 91 Deville interior electrical problem

Hey I have a 91 Sedan Deville. In the morning on the way to work all of a sudden I can hear a rapid clicking noise comming from the relay panel under the glove box. The dash lights will blink bright and dim and all the idiot lights will come on and off. The fuel data center and the climate control will reset, and then everything will go normal. Well today it did the same thing, but the climate control and the fuel center went black and theservice engine light came on. The heater came on full blast, and it stayed like that, I couldn't control it. I got it to go back to normal by disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it.What the hell is going on?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Default RE: 91 Deville interior electrical problem

Maybe a short, loose ground, or a wonky relay?? I think I have read something about a power supply that can go bad that powers the digital dash also. I haven't had the problem, so I can't say for sure.

Maybe someone with more experience can take a guess?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 PM

It happened again today. The fuel data center, and the climate control will go black, blower will come on High. There is a backward "6" displayed in both the fuel and climate control. You cannot retrieve codes, and none of the buttons work. The dash lights will go full bright, and you can't adjust them. Also when you turn the car off the radio will turn off too, normally it will stay on untill you open the door. But today when it happened, I went out to go to lunch, and the car wouldn't start. I disconnected the battery, and the climate control and fuel computer came back "online", but the car still wouldn't start. I got it to start by pushing on the gas pedal, but it sounded kindof sick, and it would stall when you took your foot off the pedal. I did it again and it started, blew black smoke everywhere, and I left it run untill it finally smoothed out, and ran on its own. Now it appears fine again. I don't know what the hell is going on. I need helpbefore I get stranded somewhere. Also, is there a way to reset the computer without disconnecting the battery???

Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 PM

This problem came back today, I really need help to narrow this down...

Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 AM

I don't really have a clue on this one.. The only thing I can think of would be to clean the battery terminals and then making sure they are nice and tight.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 AM

Have you ever seen the weird backward "6" charachter displayed in the fuel center or climate control?Is there maybe a light sensor that could be shorting out? Making the dash lights get bright and dim?It only happens when the sun starts to come up in the morning, when my headlights are on, never on my way home from work in the afternoon. This time the only thing that happened was the dash lights, and I could hear the clicking coming from the relay panel, and then everything went back to normal. I'm talking a couple of seconds.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM

91cbody.........did you ever get the problem fixed with the fuel center? I am haveing the same problem and need an answer if possible.....have done all the fuze checks and etc...