Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

93 Deville, electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Default 93 Deville, electrical problem

Hi all, I'm Bob and I'm new to this forum. I'm hoping I can get some help from members more knowledgeable than me.

It is just killing me! I have a slow drain on my battery and I can not find it anywhere.
If the car sits for more than three or four days the battery is stone cold dead!
Yes it is a new Die Hard. I'm to the point where I have a small battery maintainer plugged into
the car for the weekends when I use my wife's Buick. Is there any known problems that I could start with.
My guess right now is that it is related to the switch in the door that turns the interior lights on when
you press the door handle, but that's a reach. PLEASE HELP! [/align]

Old 10-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Default RE: 93 Deville, electrical problem

There is always a parasitic drain on the battery, but it would not affect a fully-charged battery into a 'stone cold dead' condition. So, has any type ofaccessory been changed/added before the problem began? If No, has the alternator been checked lately? Is the car driven enough to fully-charge the battery? Have you checked the drain with a VOM? Have you pulled each fuse while doing the check? Do you hear any odd noises from the car when it's parked?Just because the battery is a new die hard doesn't mean it a good new diehard.....new batteries can be faulty. Has it been checked? Belt/belt-tension on the alternator good? How old are the battery cables?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the tip. I will start pulling fuses and find the effected circuit and get back to you.
All the rest is OK. Battery, alternator, belts, no odd noises except the really rare self leveling suspension pump.
The cables are original but look fine. Note this car has spent most of it's life sitting. its a 1993 with 22,000 miles on it.
It's 100% original except for the tires and battery.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 AM

"The cables are original but look fine"

Yeah, well.....Those cables are old. Looking good and being good when it comes to what they do,are different things.Corrosion takes place within the cables' insulation, where you can't 'see'. Not expensive to replace and good insurance.
That pump is why I asked about odd noises. Leaking lines will turn the pump On and use the battery.....
Make positive-sure all cable ground points are shiney-clean too.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Trunk lights that do not switch off when closed are notorious for draining batteries stone cold. Most Cadillacs have retained power for 15 to 20 minutes then shut off to guard against the very thing you suggest on the interior. A Trunk light is a direct power source and would not be including in retained power system. Make sure battery connections are shinny clean and tight, a good ground is essential to starting.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:03 PM

On a simi-related note, where is the door thingy that lets the car know the door is open on the 96? My front passenger door does not register when open. Rendering my anti-theft system in-operable on that door. Also a safety issue as I have children who ride in front sometimes.