Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

2002 Deville ... No start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Default 2002 Deville ... No start

Hello ... I am new to this forum ... hoping you guys can help

My father-in-law has 2002 Deville ... Due to age and health issues he is no longer driving ...the car has sat for close to 1 yr.

It appears that my in-laws may be going into an assisted car facility and the family is trying to organize the household. We
placed a battery charger on the car ( removing back seat to get access ) for several hours and when we try to start the car
we get the usual dash lights, I can hear the fuel pump engage, but the car doesn' start...the starter doesn't even engage. Oh,let me back up ... We have a key remote, a valet key, and a smaller key ( no big plastic head, but this key does fit door and ignition... Copy??? Oneof those wallet keys??? ) ... My father-in-Law lost the other key ... When I attempt to start car, we get SERVICE SERCURITY SYSTEM message. Any advice would be appreciated. Do we need to go to dealership and get an "master" key made? Does the battery going dead require any kind of reset procedure. Since the valet key has no chip in it, I am ssuming the key doesn't need one like the older vats system used. We want to insure we are covering all the proper bases before purchasing new battery. I am of opinion that battery just won't hold enough of a charge now. I was using a charger with a starter assist circuit because car is in garage in angle when I cannot get a 2nd car close enough to jump. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. Steven

Old 08-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2002 Deville ... No start

The valet key does have a "chip" in it and should start the car.
If you have a spare that does not have a large plastic head, it will not start the car.
The security transponder is in the plastic head and must be programed to your car in order for it to start.
A dead battery does not reset the security system, but a weak battery can cause electrical problems.
Make sure you have a good battery in there, but a visit to your local dealer may be needed to resolve this problem.