1992 Allante ABS Code 64 - BOSCH III

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Default 1992 Allante ABS Code 64 - BOSCH III

Can anyone tell me what the FSM lists what this code means??

Thxs!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Default Your ABS code 64

Hi

The code 64 is a plauability code. It is set when things start to occur out of order in the sequence of events required for the Bosch ABS braking system to operate effectively. Many times this code 64 will appear as the ac***ulator is failing or beginning to fail. Other aspects which can cause the code 64 is a failed or misadjusted brake switch (down by the pedal). This would be the easy solution, but my bet is that the ac***uklator failing iswhat is causing it. I went though this ordeal about a year and a half ago on my '91. My recommendation is annual brake flushing of the pump and master cylinder at least, to keep things going well with the system. Good luck .

Bill

Old 05-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Got to love those Allante brake systems.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 AM

Hi

Actually, the Bosch III ABS system was a state of the art, cutting edge, system when it was implemented within the Alante program in 1987. It still is an excellent braking system 25 years later. It can be a very reliable, accurate and safe system, as long as it is properly maintained. Like any system, it has drawbacks, that chiefly being in the area of maintainence. Those who have had issue with these systems typically have not maintained them as recommended. Perhaps more of the fault with the system lies with the lack or absence of a "clearly defined and do***ented maintenance schedule from the start. Admittedly, the proper procedure for the care and application of a maintenance schedule of the Bosch III system evolved more so over time and from experience. If fault were warranted it would be on this point.
Granted, the system does require maintenance, but consider this scenerio. Would it be appropriate to blame the wearing out of the outter edges of your tires on the tire manufacturer, rather than on the end user for ignoring the recommended tire pressure maintenance schedule? I don't think so.

Bill

Old 05-23-2012, 02:42 PM

A couple a years ago I got that code and had to replace the Master cylinder. Got one at Dick's place ( Allantesource ) in Florida.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Certified Members

I recommend that you do a described flush (read the FAQ) before spending $200 on a acc u m u lator or $950 on the master cyl (which may also include a refurbished ACC U M U lator ) ...
yes, Dick at Allantesource.com is the man !

to the critics of the BOSCH III .. it is a very fast braking system, with similar systems used by many EU cars AND a very similar system by the Boeing fleet .. it is a outstanding system that will stop a car several feet faster than the typical ABS, often the difference between a crash and "a close one". The problem was not and is not the system but GM and the bureaucracy that prevented the real maintenance requirement (2 years or better) vs the 10 year "official maint" which we know does NOT work ...

from the Allante FAQ in this site ...

https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...7-1992-a-2410/

- GM to date, has refused to recommend this procedure. Yet we, the Allante crowd, know without any doubt whatsoever, that the BOSCH III decays rapidly without this procedure. The system builds up crud, its effects magnified by moisture absorbed on the unsealed system. The end result being a failed ABS Master Cyl, a very expensive item often exceeding the cost of a car.

Last edited by stomper; 05-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks for all the info!!! Prevoiusly, I had performed the Brk System Flush, and replaced L/R caliper, (was leaking), along with frt brks and new rotors. Car has 34K on it total, but I ended up replacing the entire M/C assy to cure the problem. Having completed the repair awhile ago now, I feel that my primary problem was internal to the M/C, in the primary brk plunger area. The replacement unit has a firmer feel, and does not have the "two step" feel of the older unit when brakes are applied.

Yes, Dick at Allante Source helped me on this, as well as other repairs!!

JMM
AZ