visor mounts; Convertible Top Phase I mounts on Phase II & III Cadillac Allante

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Default visor mounts; Convertible Top Phase I mounts on Phase II & III Cadillac Allante

Can I change the visor mounts on my 91 to make use of a stage I top and its lockdowns? I have never seen an 88 or 89 so I'm guessing. I have already modified the weatherstrip plate. If changing the visor mounts is possible then there is no need for an eyebolt or moving the lockdown. Somebody with an 88 or 89 please look at your visor mounts and write back. Stealth your mailbox is full!

-- - - - -
mod edit
title

Last edited by Stealth; 02-07-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)
Default visor mounts????

Steve

I know that I have read somewhere (C'mon Stealth -find it!) from I believe a Dick Hussey reply as to why it makes no sense (from both a safety and practicality standpoint) to convert the header on a phase 2 car to accept the latches of a phase 1 top.

The question of the $2 bolt vs. $275 conversion kit has raged in the 4 years I've been around Allantes. Good Luck!

( I do believe Norton Baum -nbaumvoyager on ebay is selling his remaining conversion kits for less than $200)

Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default have never seen anything that shows any reason for concerns

Originally Posted by steveocombs
Can I change the visor mounts on my 91 to make use of a stage I top and its lockdowns? I have never seen an 88 or 89 so I'm guessing. I have already modified the weatherstrip plate. If changing the visor mounts is possible then there is no need for an eyebolt or moving the lockdown. Somebody with an 88 or 89 please look at your visor mounts and write back. Stealth your mailbox is full!
Originally Posted by wcoates
Steve

I know that I have read somewhere (C'mon Stealth -find it!) from I believe a Dick Hussey reply as to why it makes no sense (from both a safety and practicality standpoint) to convert the header on a phase 2 car to accept the latches of a phase 1 top.

The question of the $2 bolt vs. $275 conversion kit has raged in the 4 years I've been around Allantes. Good Luck!

( I do believe Norton Baum -nbaumvoyager on ebay is selling his remaining conversion kits for less than $200)

keep sending the PM's .. they do get to me, I dont know what is wrong with the mailbox ...

- - - -

the latch on the '87 and '88 cars is held by the visor bolts. in other words, the same TWO bolts hold BOTH the visor and the latches.

I havent tried to see if the phase I latches fit on the phase II cars, but unless the spacing was changed on the windshield header, I dont see why not. Would GM have gone to the expense of changing the windshield header simply to mount the Phase II visors? My guess is that GM said new visors must fit on existing mounts.
A more likely event would be that the phase II visors may not fit along the phase I latches .. dont know that either.

i dont believe there are any "safety issues", have never seen anything that shows any reason for concerns, but so far, I have no record of anyone taking the time to try the fit. someone has to go 1st.

IMO, them phase I latches could .. COULD .. fit on phase II cars, but I repeat, I havent tried it.

I got two Allantes, one with a top UP, one with top DOWN. it simplifies matters unless we get caught in the rain. AND .. ready for this? the hardtops in the garage, stored .. why do we need hardtops? cuz we are supposed to have one? is not logical, but it is the ALLANTE way.

--------------- . . .

as to the eye bolt conversion, a girl can do it .. in fact a girl HAS DONE it .. and I believe it was so simple enough she did it in her lunch hour. then again, she aint your typical girl.

at this point .. let me go on record ...
AFTER owning both PHASE I and PHASE II cars, I highly dislike, really dislike the PHASE II power latches ...
they are without a doubt dangerous, they are quirky at best, the motors fail and are really expensive to fix, the system is absolutely unreliable. in fact, there was recall that "fixed" part of the design where the tops came off on the highway at speed .. but let me tell you, the recall, IMO, did not go far enough.

Give me the Phase I "hook and latch" design any day .. that is the same design on my Stang and let me tell you, they dont give you headaches.

yes .. yes .. if all is at it should (can one really expect that on a 15+ year old car?) , if your car got "corrected" by the recall, they work beautifully, if not, you cant get the soft top UP, or the soft top can fly off .. make sure your INSURANCE is paid.

that sort of argument is also heard about crank windows vs. power windows on many cars? does not apply.
let me tell you, it is not the same .. .. power windows, when the fail, dont fly out in the wind and wreck the car and when a window motor fails, one can replace for around $50 ..

in closing .. for those that want a HARDTOP;
By attrition, there are more PHASE I hardtops surviving than the TOTAL amounts of surviving Allante cars, including all Phase I, II, II cars. Hardtops rarely go to the salvage yard with the car, in fact, often cars are sold or traded w/o the hardtop that remains forgotten on the rafters.

Eventually, the hard tops will come off the rafters and hit the market. The Allante cars are going to the salvage yards in record numbers .. get in touch with a yard or anyone parting a car .. buy both the latch receivers & hooks, and give it a try.

I plan to transfer my Phase I latches, including the HOOK off the soft top to my Phase II soft top (when the '88 gets parted) .. yes, the hook should also install easily to the existing soft top.

it wont be "original" but IMO, will be better, safer.

Last edited by Stealth; 02-07-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Default Phase I Mounts Any PICS????

The group seems to have decided the the Phase 1 lockdown should mount in the phase 2 car. Hurray! Which means the conversion is really 2 steps.
Alter the weatherstrip plate and add the lockdowns. Now if someone would just post a picture I could see what I'm talking about. I don't mind being the first to try it but before I buy the lockdowns, I'd like to see a picture. I'll share my secret for new weatherstripping with whoever puts up a pic or two. (My weatherstripping idea is really off the wall but I'm going to try it)

Old 02-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Now if someone would just post a picture I could see what I'm talking about. I don't mind being the first to try it but before I buy the lockdowns, I'd like to see a picture.

exactly what item(s) do you need pictures off?
i got a soft top sitting in the bushes and hard tops that i can go and shot a pic or two.

Last edited by Stealth; 02-07-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Default Pics of latches

On the stage 2, there's a 2 inch sq plastic sheild that covers the visor mount. I assume the stage 1 latch is about the same size and the plastic cover isn't needed. There again, I never seen a stage 1 Allante so I don't really know. Just a couple of pics of the latch and the surrounding area.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

On the stage 2, there's a 2 inch sq plastic sheild that covers the visor mount. I assume the stage 1 latch is about the same size and the plastic cover isn't needed. There again, I never seen a stage 1 Allante so I don't really know. Just a couple of pics of the latch and the surrounding area.
will do .. but I wont see the Allantes until the rains stop, which seems to be an eternity right now.

We gonna grow gills.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM

I noticed you used the term latch receivers.. a very good description. I don't know what the proper name is for the part. Latch pin holder ?.... if it was a hook and eye, we'd be talking about the eye. If it was a lock we'd being talking about the hasp. One of my books refer to it as a striker but regardless of the name I need a right and a left. Where do I post an ad in the forum???

Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 PM

I've been in contact with Dick Hussey and he has stated the "holes won't line up." And I believe him ..... he knows more about Allantes than any 2 manuals. Thus the idea of bolting stage 1 latch receivers into a stage 2 car is dealt a near fatal blow. But can the receivers be modified? Or machined to fit?? Who knows?? not I as I still haven't seen a picture of one. For cryin' out loud ...would somebody post a picture and put me out of my misery???

Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

I've been in contact with Dick Hussey and he has stated the "holes won't line up." And I believe him ..... he knows more about Allantes than any 2 manuals. Thus the idea of bolting stage 1 latch receivers into a stage 2 car is dealt a near fatal blow. But can the receivers be modified? Or machined to fit?? Who knows?? not I as I still haven't seen a picture of one. For cryin' out loud ...would somebody post a picture and put me out of my misery???
always ask, what will it take and the world will be yours!

as for pics, the rain is still on!

Quick Reply: visor mounts; Convertible Top Phase I mounts on Phase II & III Cadillac Allante