Just picked up an Allante, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Default Just picked up an Allante, need help

I've alway been intriuged by these cars and just picked up a 92 today. It needs nit pick work. First and formost how do you lower the top? In the console there is a fuel door button and the trunk button and a big hole in between them. In side I found a harness clip with no button I assume this worked the top somehow, anyway to lower it manually?

Up by the latches I found some latch motors at the ends there is an exposed gear should something be attached?

The radio does not work but turns on and the controls work, so is it like the Corvette C4's Bose system with a CDM and an amp attached to each speaker? What is likely the problem?

Anyway to defeat the traction control system? there sure are a lot of buttons in this thing.

I did not get a remote fob, if I get one can I program it myself or is the dealer keeping that a secret?

Any help would be appreciated thank guys.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by seDAN deville
I've alway been intriuged by these cars and just picked up a 92 today. It needs nit pick work. First and formost how do you lower the top? In the console there is a fuel door button and the trunk button and a big hole in between them. In side I found a harness clip with no button I assume this worked the top somehow, anyway to lower it manually?

Up by the latches I found some latch motors at the ends there is an exposed gear should something be attached?

The radio does not work but turns on and the controls work, so is it like the Corvette C4's Bose system with a CDM and an amp attached to each speaker? What is likely the problem?

Anyway to defeat the traction control system? there sure are a lot of buttons in this thing.

I did not get a remote fob, if I get one can I program it myself or is the dealer keeping that a secret?

Any help would be appreciated thank guys.

1. open your owners manual, some of the info u need is there.
2. buy a FSM ASAP
3. the top releases are behind the driver seat, just on the vertical plastic panel .. one for the pull down and one for the front latches

the large hole between the trunk and fuel door releases should hold the center console release .. yours may be missing

fob? the '92 is a VATS .. if the car starts with a regular key, no chip, the VATS has been bypassed.

no, that gear you can use to manual engage the top latches if the motors fail .. get a socket that fits is PERFECT .. you dont want to damage them .. i can turn mine with my fingers while pulling gently down on the top's rib.

disconnect the cable that goes through the spare tire .. but why you want to do that? the 4500 will burn the tires and the transmission, fun as that may be.

this car goes and goes fast .. make sure you got proper tires, check what you got against the door plate.

one last thing .. the chassis is low with the intent of keeping the center of gravity low, it will rip around curves and turns like its on rails, but, BUT .. you will bottom the car when you least expect it. watch for dips, road bumps .. you dont want to drag the chassis on the tar mat or on entry of a driveway.
low clearance is about 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 inches.

Last edited by stomper; 12-20-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

also, pull the side carpeted panel behind driver side, you will find the manual release for the fuel door.
the same panel behind the passenger door has the battery, the main fuses, and one of the BOSE units

on the underside of the rear soft top cover, you will find a switch that manually controls the pull down, use it to make sure its all the way up before you hook the rear of the top .. CAUTION .. never never slam the top into it!
it will break.

to put the top up, always latch the front 1st and use the rear pull down to finish the job.
to put the top down, do the reverse

BOSE .. not enough info given.

open trunk, pull the carpet off the tail lights and make sure the light sockets are properly plugged in and check for heat damage (from badly installed bulbs sockets).

Last edited by stomper; 12-20-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:46 AM

There was no owners manual in the car.

Most car have a traction control on off button, so I wondered if this had one hidden somewhere.

The console lock is still there this hole has some kind of harness clip under it that is missing a button/switch.

As for Bose info thats all I have a radio that lights up and functions, but no sound/noise at all.

How is it set up? IS the radio and actual radio that sends signal to the amps by the speakers, or is the radio just a control panel, with a separate control module somewhere that sends signal to the amps?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Certified Members

There was no owners manual in the car.

Most car have a traction control on off button, so I wondered if this had one hidden somewhere.

The console lock is still there this hole has some kind of harness clip under it that is missing a button/switch.

As for Bose info thats all I have a radio that lights up and functions, but no sound/noise at all.

How is it set up? IS the radio and actual radio that sends signal to the amps by the speakers, or is the radio just a control panel, with a separate control module somewhere that sends signal to the amps?
no hidden buttons for traction control .. only the cable.

the radio you see is only control panel, the actual radio is behind glove box and it sends a pre-amp signal. the "speakers" have the amplifier at each speaker.

sounds like your radio may have failed or wiring/harness is broken/disconnected.

you can check each speaker by pluging an audio signal at each speaker, rear speakers are easy access, it wont sound right but will tell you if they work.

if the panel control works and the speakers emit sound, the problem is the radio or the wiring/connections.

get a owners manual as soon as you can .. it it invaluable for this car ... ebay sees many owner manuals and also FSMs.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 AM

Well, found the top controls. The left latch works sometimes but can get in a stuck posittion I have to move it to catch, the right does not work at all and I can't get it to maually latch (explains the wind noise.

I got the rear latch to release but when I try to fold the top it won't. almost like those rear windows hang it up somehow, do they roll down or pivot with the top? what is the issue here?

I checked ebay, owners manuals are 50+ and no 92's, I would rather figure it all out for free.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Well, found the top controls. The left latch works sometimes but can get in a stuck posittion I have to move it to catch, the right does not work at all and I can't get it to maually latch (explains the wind noise).

I got the rear latch to release but when I try to fold the top it won't. almost like those rear windows hang it up somehow, do they roll down or pivot with the top? what is the issue here?

I checked ebay, owners manuals are 50+ and no 92's, I would rather figure it all out for free.
keep checking for the manuals, in any Allante owner, having one is not an option, it is a necessity. there is a lot of info there that you will need. these cars are not avg and they got systems that you dont even realize. have you read the "XYZ Allante Facts" ?

if the front latches are not secure, YOU WILL LOSE THE TOP on the hwy .. talk about getting your day ruined.

to put the top DOWN, release the rear, then fold it UP until it locks into the top frame.

Then release the front latches, and slowly bring it back, it will fold panle by panel, unless there is damage or the ribs are jammed. make sure the ribs can pivot.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Default Just bought a 1987 Allante!

I am wanting to get a spare trunk/door key made as it only came with one but Cadillac said they don't make them like that anymore. Any suggestions on where I might find the original to make a spare or am I going to have to change the door and trunk keys all together? Thanks... Bob

Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM

If you have a key now, it seems that any respectable locksmith can make a duplicate for you?