Replacing solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 2Caddys
Based on what you can see in the photos, does it appear that something may be worn beyond "normal" in this transmission ?
In my opinion, yes. As I stated, the design of the 4T80E trans doesn't normally allow for a lot of crap to wind up in the pan, unless there is an unusually large amount of crap to begin with. Most of the debris from "normal" wear/tear will stay ensconced up in the case, and inside the drums. Once there is enough to show piles in the pan, it is an indication that some of the clutch/band material is flaking off, of just plain burnt.

Also, a friend of a friend suggests having the transmission "flushed."
Thoughts ?
Again, in my opinion, flushing will only accelerate the deterioration. As trans fluid has a high detergent content, new fluid, or any "flushing agent" can, and usually will, wash out any loose/worn clutch/band/metal materials from their hiding places. Now, you've got all this poop floating around in the trans, looking for other things to stick, or damage.

Would it be worth the effort to change the two solenoids 'just to see if it helps' ?
Possibly, but you will need to remove the lower valve body to do this. Once you get the lower vb off, you will probably find a lot more poop settled on top of it.
Not trying to discourage you, just trying to give the all of the possible outcomes. I would rather play banjo standing on my head in a sand dune than pull one of these transmissions out. I, as you, would certainly want to eliminate ALL possible fixes before condemning it.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 PM

Thanks for all of the help.

I guess it's decision time.