Replacing solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM

That schematic is fabulous. Thank you.

Now, I can get started.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Certified Members

Here's a better pic of the whole thing...

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 03-15-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Adams' Apple
Here's a better pic of the whole thing...
The picture isn't coming through for me.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Certified Members

Just in case, here's the url...

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 03-15-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Excellent. Thanks, again.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 2Caddys
Based on the transmission's symptoms,
What do you think the odds are that installing the solenoid kit will improve its operation ?
Thanks, again.
After reading thru the original post, and subsequent posts, I'm not sure it will help, but it really depends on what you find when you remove the pan. Solenoids will not normally cause a slipping issue, which is kinda what I seem to be reading, if I am reading the symptoms correctly. A blown out solenoid could cause a similar issue, so...just need to get the pan off and have a look-see. If you see a lot of material in the bottom of the pan, but the solenoids appear to be intact, then you may have a more serious issue.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:00 PM

Well...I finally got around to taking off the transmission pan.

The fluid seemed to have a fairly normal color. No unusual smells.

I did, however, find two small collections of debris on the bottom of the pan, consisting of the usual gunk as well as some metal particles. Attached are two photos of what I found. Hope they show the "evidence" clearly enough to evaluate.

Based on this discovery, do you think the transmission can be fixed ?

Would it help to change the two solenoids identified as no. 909 in post #10 ?
EDIT: I see the photos didn't come through. I'll have to review the photo uploading procedure and try it again. I thought I had clicked all of the correct things in the Manage Attachments section, but, apparently not.

Last edited by 2Caddys; 05-28-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Here are the photos showing the two little piles of stuff I found in the bottom of the pan.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing solenoid-cadillac-t-pan-001.jpg   Replacing solenoid-cadillac-t-pan-004.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

Did you look up into the trans to see the two solenoids, and are they both ok, as in, not hanging out/loose? If the solenoid that normally breaks(the one closest to the rear of the car) is damaged, it will be obvious, by comparing it to the other solenoid right next to it.

The two piles of poop I see in the pan indicate there is some abnormal wear to the clutches, or bands...most likely the forward clutches. Those clutches tend to "flake" over time, and the small pieces wind up floating around in the system. 4T80E transmissions don't normally have a lot of buildup in the lower pan, unless something is worn beyond "normal". The two areas that you see the poop concentrated in are right where the two scavenge filters are...if you take a good look at the filters themselves, you'll probably see more poop stuck to the screens.

I don't know....I kinda think you may be looking at rebuild time...

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 05-31-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Did you look up into the trans to see the two solenoids, and are they both ok, as in, not hanging out/loose? If the solenoid that normally breaks(the one closest to the rear of the car) is damaged, it will be obvious, by comparing it to the other solenoid right next to it.
I looked at the two solenoids, again. They both seem OK, secure, not loose, wires intact.

4T80E transmissions don't normally have a lot of buildup in the lower pan, unless something is worn beyond "normal".
Based on what you can see in the photos, does it appear that something may be worn beyond "normal" in this transmission ?

The two areas that you see the poop concentrated in are right where the two scavenge filters are...if you take a good look at the filters themselves, you'll probably see more poop stuck to the screens.
Yes, there was a pile of poop around the inlet to the dog leg filter, and there was some poop stuck in that filter screen.

I don't know....I kinda think you may be looking at rebuild time...
Thoughts based upon the two solenoids appearing intact ?

Also, a friend of a friend suggests having the transmission "flushed."
Thoughts ?

Would it be worth the effort to change the two solenoids 'just to see if it helps' ?

Last edited by 2Caddys; 06-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing solenoid