Update-TCC solenoid-common problem-THM200-4R

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Default Update-TCC solenoid-common problem-THM200-4R

Apparently for those who are having shifting problems with an otherwise well maintained tranny is a result from a bad TCC solenoid. It is an easy fix and is basically not to in depth. For those who are having some shifting probelms here you can test your TCC by doing the following:

After your car reaches operating temp take your car to 45 - 50 mph and hold steady. using your left foot slightly press your brake just enough to turn on the brake lights but not enough to engage your brakes. Your tranny should downshift and you should hear the RPMs increase then it should upshift back into 4th. If it does than your TCC is working. If not disconnect your harness that goes into your tranny. If that solves the problem than you confirmed that your TCC is bad by both tests. FYI- if disconnecting the harness resolves the issue apparently it is not advised to drive the vehicle with it disconnected. I don't know why it would seem to me that your tranny would just operate like an pre-electronic tranny.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Update-TCC solenoid-common problem-THM200-4R

I'm not having shifting problems, but maybe slipping it is? on the other post you mentioned slippping.
I'am wondering about the same thing but how does one tell if the trani is slipping?

I was under the impression that the torque converter "locks" at highway speed. In my car, the engine can go from about 2,500 rpm to 3,200 rpm depending on the degree of uphill in the road.

ORIGINAL: Kdaddy

Apparently for those who are having shifting problems with an otherwise well maintained tranny is a result from a bad TCC solenoid. It is an easy fix and is basically not to in depth. For those who are having some shifting probelms here you can test your TCC by doing the following:

After your car reaches operating temp take your car to 45 - 50 mph and hold steady. using your left foot slightly press your brake just enough to turn on the brake lights but not enough to engage your brakes. Your tranny should downshift and you should hear the RPMs increase then it should upshift back into 4th. If it does than your TCC is working. If not disconnect your harness that goes into your tranny. If that solves the problem than you confirmed that your TCC is bad by both tests. FYI- if disconnecting the harness resolves the issue apparently it is not advised to drive the vehicle with it disconnected. I don't know why it would seem to me that your tranny would just operate like an pre-electronic tranny.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: stomper

I'm not having shifting problems, but maybe slipping it is? on the other post you mentioned slippping.
I'am wondering about the same thing but how does one tell if the trani is slipping?

I was under the impression that the torque converter "locks" at highway speed. In my car, the engine can go from about 2,500 rpm to 3,200 rpm depending on the degree of uphill in the road.

i wouldn't consider a 700 rpm increase while going uphill slipping, but it is hard to say without driving your vehical if it is normal or not.
If the engine rpm flaresfor a full second or more without the vehical gaining any forward speed this would be considered slipping.
Burnt fluid is a good indicator of a slipping transmission, but if the fluid has 100k miles on it then itcould be hard to tell.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Certified Members

The fluid is new as of about 10,000 miles when she got a fluid and filter change out.
the fluid did look normal then and I think it looks good now after 10k mi.
I will take a look at the fluid this evening.

The rpm diferencial mentioned is not for speeding up, but simply maintaining steady hwy speed,
maybe around 70mph? I dont see/feel a downshift when that happens.

ORIGINAL: FLCaddytech

i wouldn't consider a 700 rpm increase while going uphill slipping, but it is hard to say without driving your vehical if it is normal or not.
If the engine rpm flaresfor a full second or more without the vehical gaining any forward speed this would be considered slipping.
Burnt fluid is a good indicator of a slipping transmission, but if the fluid has 100k miles on it then itcould be hard to tell.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Certified Members

Kdaddy...would your tranny tests work for a '99 seville sts as well? just checking..... tx
rickyd