Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

New Member Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Default New Member Questions

Hello all, I have decided to become a member not only to research the options I have with my 2000 SLS, but to share any info I might have for anyone else. I was just blessed with a flat tire and a bad starter this morning. The starter I knew about, but today was not a good day for it to act up. I also have been smelling a bit of antifreeze upon startup and have been using about 2-3 qts. of oil every 1,500 miles. I am planning to replace the head gaskets with the starter and I don't know if I should replace the lash adjusters too. They are chattering for a while after startup. The car has 148,000 on the odo. The struts are weak and I cannot find a replacement that is not a ridiculous price. The body and interior is in near perfect cond. so I do not really want to abandon it.....yet. Does anyone know where I can get lash adjusters for under $1000? What about struts? I do not have the mag struts, but they are electronic. I seem to find a lot of info about Northstar Performance and His head bolt kit. My last question is if there are any after market performance for the 00 and up engines or do I have to use OEM parts at their prices?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

You should check a few of the Forum's Sponsors..... ))

rickyd

Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Default Head Gasket replacement on a Northstar

We all apreciate all the information any member can offer.
I will also caution you that a head gasket job on a Northstar engine is not like any other.

The head gasket problem has nothing to do with the head gasket or even the past use of the engine. GM has a great flaw in the manufacture of this engine, they have not created a way to hold the head down tight enough in the aluminum block. The result of this is the head gasket failing.

So when a head gasket job is done on a Northstar unless you address this issue it will not last long. In getting my head gaskets done I found an engine rebuilder who even takes out the engine fixes the problem and reinstalls the engine.

He has created a system of bushing the block it took him over two years to create this trade secret but has been using it for over 12 years. He initially created the system because GM extended warranty came to him because this problem was costing them $11,000 an engine and the problem still was not fixed.

To get his information for contact check his web site out at www.cadillacexperts.com Tony would gladly talk to you. He does not use studs because that is not the answer although some may think it is.