Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Olds guy joining Caddy Forum!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Default Olds guy joining Caddy Forum!

Hello!

My name is John and although I am a true Oldsmobile nut, I have always had a big affection for Caddies! My dad owned '62 and '64 Coupe Convertibles and a '68 Coupe before buying what is now my '76 Ninety Eight Regency Coupe. I also have a 2nd '76 98.

Since my 98 shares a bit with its Caddy cousins of the era, I am hoping to share some knowledge and even parts with some fellow classic GM owners.

Thank you,

John
Connecticut
www.regencyclassics.com

Attached Thumbnails Olds guy joining Caddy Forum!-0907141610a.jpg   Olds guy joining Caddy Forum!-olds-1st-place-seniors-class-.jpg   Olds guy joining Caddy Forum!-red-olds-newport.jpg   Olds guy joining Caddy Forum!-both-98s.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

Welcome 98s are cool. the monster 2 door she be fun to park. They don't share as much with Cadillac as you would think.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
Welcome 98s are cool. the monster 2 door she be fun to park. They don't share as much with Cadillac as you would think.
Hi Slowroll and thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to hear someone say that the 98 and Caddy are not that similar because I'm so tired of people thinking they're practically the same car! Different bodies, engines, and even the frames. The Electra is really the 98's sister while the Caddy is more of a cousin lol. You are right, they do not share as much as some would think but there are still a number of things that carry over. One such thing is the sunvisors for which I'm looking for a driver's side lighted one which was offered on both cars but a bit more common on the Caddies. I've posted my search in the parts wanted section so we'll see if any turn up.

Thanks again for saying hello.

John

Old 06-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

I don't remember seeing driver's side "make up" before the eighties. The lamp assemble is the same left or right. I would think you could modify and recover a right side one. back in the old days many of the platforms were more cousins while in this case the 88 and 98 were sisters since they shared a lot than with a Buick. In 1977 that would change and more and more parts would be shared. Cadillac would continue to use unique systems and components.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by slowroll
I don't remember seeing driver's side "make up" before the eighties. The lamp assemble is the same left or right. I would think you could modify and recover a right side one. back in the old days many of the platforms were more cousins while in this case the 88 and 98 were sisters since they shared a lot than with a Buick. In 1977 that would change and more and more parts would be shared. Cadillac would continue to use unique systems and components.
Yep, the mirror assemblies are the same left and right and I already have plans to make my own left from a right if no originals turn up. I have enough right side ones to work with and a good plan in my head so either way I'll make it happen. It would just be so much easier to clean and spray an existing one. 88s and 98s do share quite a bit, Toronado and Custom Cruiser as well. All of which have served me well over the years.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:07 PM

Nice rides! My sister's first car was a '76 Delta 88 4 door. She was 98 lbs soaking wet with a rock in her pocket

Old 06-07-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by So Long
Nice rides! My sister's first car was a '76 Delta 88 4 door. She was 98 lbs soaking wet with a rock in her pocket

Thanks! That's a lot of car for such a petite gal !

Old 06-07-2017, 02:13 PM

You bet! It was 1983 & luckily for her gas was cheap, too. 455's are thirsty.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by So Long
You bet! It was 1983 & luckily for her gas was cheap, too. 455's are thirsty.

Ha, yeah, they can drink quite a bit but you can get some pretty impressive mileage with them too. On one of our long trips in my mahogany 98, I got just shy of 19mpg going from North Carolina back to Connecticut. That was with 2 mountain bikes and luggage in the trunk, the A/C on and cruising around 75mph in complete comfort. You gotta love GM's turnpike cruisers!