Olds 350 needs a lot o gas to start, then feather

Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Default Olds 350 needs a lot o gas to start, then feather

79 Eldorado with the olds 350, I have a problem with it starting and staying running unless I feather the accelerator. I was thinking it must be a fuel issue but I'm stupid, so maybe someone can interject.

I also cannot find the fuel pump, or some kind of fuel filter off the carbs. I am just trying to clean a filter in case it's pluggin up.

After about 3minutes of feather the peddle at almost death it runs great and after I cruise for a while it's cherry, but at the beginning she strains.

idk, could use some troubleshooting advice and locations would be great. Like the fuel pump is here kinda stuff.

tanks

Old 02-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

Most parts for EFI are discontinued by everybody, you will need to search web. Coolant sensor is likely cause, Factory Service Manual will be required to deal with EFI. 350 EFI is found in 76-80 Sevilles, and 79-80 Eldorado as an option. There was also separate electrical manual back then. Eldo book would be best, but the EFI didn't change so even if it's a Seville book better than nothing. There are 2 fuel pumps one in the tank and one on the frame. Fuel filter is under car near frame mounted fuel pump also, it is a canister type.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM

Wow grt stuff slow, thanks. I will have to get a book. First available $54 I will be shootin towards ebay for a book.

I suppose if I go to Napa and ask for a coolant sensor they can point me in the direction to where it will be on the car.

I dismantled the throttle body and it was very congested with black build-up. It seemed to run smoother after the 2-3 minutes of feathering, I still had to do to the accelerator, to get it running.

I will track down the fuel filter tomorrow, thanks for advice, O and I have been running it daily trying to get the seafoam working. I hope that helps clean out the fuel system some.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Default 79 Eldorado

The fuel filter in canister in rear on drivers side is on very tight and under pressure so be careful. Electronic fuel injection with throttle body has several sensors on this Caddy. Air temperature sensor often
goes and is located in intake manifold. Sensors including coolant one is available through Rockauto. I would go to a long time GM dealer and
pay them for a scan check the motor..they should have the early type plug in scanners. They will check the main pump pressure. There is also fuel regulater attached to the fuel rail....its a very expensive piece.
The 1979 Cadillac shop manual is VERY informative and available on ebay and also Haynes book is great also.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:17 PM

I should add the air temperature sensor at most auto parts stores and Rockauto
for 79 Caddy Eldorado is larger then factory one. Maybe somebody knows where to find the factory original or the alternative.