Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

New with (possibly) 87' Coupe Deville

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Default New with (possibly) 87' Coupe Deville

Hey, my names Zach from south Florida. I'm 17 years old and am planning on buying my first car within the next month. I've been looking around and fell in love with this all white 1987 Coupe Deville with 80k miles for $2,500. http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd/1328491604.html

Here's the thing... Like most people right now I need to get the most for my money in these tough economic times. According to the carfax there has been no accidents or problems with the car. If I buy this car I'll treat it with all the love and affection it needs. But the fact is THIS CAR HAS TO LAST!!! I've done my research and know that a lot of people experience problems with the HT-4100 engine. If I take excellent care of this car do you guys think it will repay the favor? What are some things that I should look out for? I guess what I'm asking for is your guys' opinion on this purchase. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

That is a very nice buy. one thing you have to remember is its an old car so the longer you keep it the harder parts may be to find. yes these engines have flaws but if in the future you are planing on keeing her for ever replacing the engine with a 4.5 0r 4.9 is possible. my friend did it with his when his engine blew up. He found a 4.9 and installed it and it had more power and was a more reliable than the 4.1.

As long as you do the proper maitnence i.e. oil , coolant, and tranny fluid changes, tune ups. this car should last. Most people that own car drive them until a problem pops up. If you are checking things periodicly for wear and tear you can prevent costly repairs down the road. So if you hear a tick dont put it off as something small it may mean bigger problems down the road. good luck on your purchase and if you do get her you can always ask questions or look up info on here to keep your cady on the road.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by S.FLzach
Hey, my names Zach from south Florida. I'm 17 years old and am planning on buying my first car within the next month. I've been looking around and fell in love with this all white 1987 Coupe Deville with 80k miles for $2,500. http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd/1328491604.html

Here's the thing... Like most people right now I need to get the most for my money in these tough economic times. According to the carfax there has been no accidents or problems with the car. If I buy this car I'll treat it with all the love and affection it needs. But the fact is THIS CAR HAS TO LAST!!! I've done my research and know that a lot of people experience problems with the HT-4100 engine. If I take excellent care of this car do you guys think it will repay the favor? What are some things that I should look out for? I guess what I'm asking for is your guys' opinion on this purchase. Thanks.

if you done your research well, you will also notice that the 4100 problems do NOT apply to the 1987 models .. those issues ended in 1985/1986.

I be more concerned with the suspension being solid ($900), the trans not slipping $1,800), tires ($500), and the electrics ($ky is the limit) working well.

the asking $2,400 seems a bit steep for a 22 year old car in this day of depressed used car values. Make a deal, $1,500 be my off-the-cuff offer on this one .. but I HAVE NOT checked KBB for value.

remember, if the tires show ANY cracking whatsoever, they need replacement. specially look between the threads.

Last edited by stomper; 08-22-2009 at 10:39 AM.