Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Hi, new to this board, can anyone help me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Default Hi, new to this board, can anyone help me?

[align=left]Please HELP, can anyone give me advice?

Thanks in advance to anyone who adds their 2 cents. I have a 99 cadillac seville sts with 99k on it. I've never had any problems before but recently the electronics have gotten all messed up. When I was driving yesterday the service engine light came on, then my instrument dash got all screwy.

1) the rpm and speedometer stopped working.
2) the entire lights on my dash would flick on and off while I was driving
3) the rpm and speedometer would go from working to being turned off back and forth.
4) finally when I was almost home my car SHUT OFF while i was driving, basicaly the power went out and I couldn't accelerate anymore, all the lights went out on the dash and I pulled over. Eventually I was able to restart my car and drive home but it took a few tries, the funny thing is I dont think it's my battery bc the battery low indicator never came on.

Can someone please give me some advice? I don't think it's a battery so it might be a blown fuse or alternator?

thanks!
[/align]

Old 02-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Default RE: Hi, new to this board, can anyone help me?

Hi: I have an 01' ETC and just 2 days ago my car shut down as well. I also had the service engine light coming on. My dash was showing service charging system. Cadillac's will shut down when the battery volts get down to 10.0. The alternator turned out to be bad.All is well after the replacement. If it is your alternator expect the bill to be between $550.00 and $650.00 for a new one. Good luck!