Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Can anyone help me? 99sts electical probs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Default Can anyone help me? 99sts electical probs.

[align=left]Please HELP, can anyone give me advice?

Thanks in advance to anyone who adds their 2 cents. I have a 99 cadillac seville sts with 99k on it. I've never had any problems before but recently the electronics have gotten all messed up. When I was driving yesterday the service engine light came on, then my instrument dash got all screwy.

1) the rpm and speedometer stopped working.
2) the entire lights on my dash would flick on and off while I was driving
3) the rpm and speedometer would go from working to being turned off back and forth.
4) finally when I was almost home my car SHUT OFF while i was driving, basicaly the power went out and I couldn't accelerate anymore, all the lights went out on the dash and I pulled over. Eventually I was able to restart my car and drive home but it took a few tries, the funny thing is I dont think it's my battery bc the battery low indicator never came on.

Can someone please give me some advice? I don't think it's a battery so it might be a blown fuse or alternator?

thanks!
[/align]

Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Can anyone help me? 99sts electical probs.

Hi,

You may want to check the Alternator and also check if a leaking engine seal was the cause of the problem . I know someone that recently had the exact same problen and those were the results of the problem.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM

after reading about the problem you are having with your 99 sts it quickly reminded me of a frustrating time that i had with my 99 sts. i also was having this very same issue. i had the electrical checked, replaced battery and had altenator checked with no solution to the very same problem. after some troubleshooting by a electrical shop it was later found that the problem was a faultykeyignition switch. to access the switchin the dash you need to remove the radio/ac control panel(remember thatradio has anti theft and diconnectiong it from its power harness will lock radio and you will need code to unlock,avoid disconnectiong it if possible,the radio harness should be long enough to work with).the switch in my caddyhad thecontacts cleaned and the harness put back securely and the problemhas not returned. hope this helps. good luck[&:]

Old 04-18-2007, 05:29 AM

A common cause of symptoms similar to yours is intermittent contact failures in the electrical system. It can be a faulty (corroded or loose) ground strap or, more likely, a bad cable connection at the battery posts. Clean them thoroughly with battery post cleaner, which comes in a spray-can, or with baking soda (after removing the crud and wirebrushing the contacts).

Old 04-26-2007, 02:54 PM

check to see if there is a recall on switch or cluster i think there is

Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Certified Members

I HAD THE SAME WITH MY 99 STS, AND FOUND IT TO BE THE GROUNDS UNDER THE REAR SEAT. ESPECIALLY THE ONE THAT COMES OUT OF THE BACK OF THE SEAT..... TAKE THE NUT OUT OF THE FLOOR.....CLEAN THE **** OUT OF, AND OFF OF, REPLACE AND COAT....
rickyd