General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Cool Transmission question

Hey everyone I am having an issue with my Park/Neutral switch I am hooping someone can help. The reason the title says transmission is because the switch is attached to the transmission and I am not totally sure that my problem is the transmission but something else. Earlier this month I posted a thread about a starting issue but instead of going through all that again here is the post and you can catch up:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9176

Now with my starting problem I have traced the power all the way to the park/neutral switch and that is as far as it is going. I took the switch off and checked the continuity from the yellow(power) wire to the purple(to starter) and I was getting no reading. I then put the switch on the neutral switch and I got a reading then I put it on the park position and again I got a reading but when I checked the switch in the park position to the transmission bolt holes they do not match up so I am unable to attach the switch back on. If I put the switch to the Neutral then I am able to attach but I am not able to reach the park position once I do that hence why I was not getting power to my starter.

Now I did have the transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago and just recently replaced the switch because the car stopped working. Since then I have not gotten one crank unless I jump the starter. Today I will put back the old switch and see if that is the problem meaning that the switch I bought is incorrect but I doubt that is the issue since I checked them side by side and they match exactly.

My question I ask you guys has to do with the transmission. Is it possible to adjust the shift lever at the transmission without having to drop and open it up? I need to move the the shifter about one inch to the side so both Park and Neutral positions are reached while attached to the transmission...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chuwee
Hey everyone I am having an issue with my Park/Neutral switch I am hooping someone can help. The reason the title says transmission is because the switch is attached to the transmission and I am not totally sure that my problem is the transmission but something else. Earlier this month I posted a thread about a starting issue but instead of going through all that again here is the post and you can catch up:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9176

Now with my starting problem I have traced the power all the way to the park/neutral switch and that is as far as it is going. I took the switch off and checked the continuity from the yellow(power) wire to the purple(to starter) and I was getting no reading. I then put the switch on the neutral switch and I got a reading then I put it on the park position and again I got a reading but when I checked the switch in the park position to the transmission bolt holes they do not match up so I am unable to attach the switch back on. If I put the switch to the Neutral then I am able to attach but I am not able to reach the park position once I do that hence why I was not getting power to my starter.

Now I did have the transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago and just recently replaced the switch because the car stopped working. Since then I have not gotten one crank unless I jump the starter. Today I will put back the old switch and see if that is the problem meaning that the switch I bought is incorrect but I doubt that is the issue since I checked them side by side and they match exactly.

My question I ask you guys has to do with the transmission. Is it possible to adjust the shift lever at the transmission without having to drop and open it up? I need to move the the shifter about one inch to the side so both Park and Neutral positions are reached while attached to the transmission...
I have done that with other parts, logically no way since they were exactly identical .. but there is always enough tolerance in parts that some may well fall out of the operational range and yet, we cannot visually detect it.

its worth the try!