General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission compatability

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Default transmission compatability

I am new at everything cadillac so i do not understand all of cadillacs designs. I am a landrover/ jaguar tech so this is all new to me. My issue is that my girlfriends dad is having trouble with his '92 Cadillac Eldorado with the 4.9 "B" vin code, his transmission is not working properly and he was asking me if it is possible to swap a trans from a 92/93/94 era Deville. Like i said i am not familiar with cadillac, but i have been told that the trans in the Eldorado is a 60 series and the Deville has an 80 series. Does this have anything to do with the size or is it the internals and design rating? I read that the 80 comes in "Y" vin vehicles, does this interchange with the Eldoado, is it a direct swap or do i have to modify things to fit. motor mounts,trans mounts, half shafts, trans pan design, bellhousing bolt pattern, linkages, speedometer adapters etc. Am i going to have to modify these to work at all. If there is anyone that has worked with this issue or knows about this please help, any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 02-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Default RE: transmission compatability

i think your best ebt is to call a GM parts dept..i used to work for dodge parts, and were usually willing to help with things like this.,..