General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting issue on 90 deville

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Unhappy Starting issue on 90 deville

First off I would like to say hi to everyone here as this is my first post...

I have posted this problem on another forum but no one seems to know what it could be or what to do so I am here hoping some here can help me. What my problem is, is that my Deville does not start all the time. Currently it stopped about 3 months ago and since then I have not been able to start it up. I have replaced just about everything and am to the point that I am out of ideas of what it could be hence why I am here. I could really use some help on this sense I have dedicated so much money and time I would like to get this car working. Below are the symptoms and what I have done.

Symptoms:
1. Car does not start when I turn the key over.
2. All lights turn on but no click from starter.
3. I am able to start the car when I jump the starter after I turn the key on.
4. Key cylinder security wires broken in column

Parts replaced:
1. Starter
2. Alternator
3. Battery
4. Park/Neutral switch
5. Ignition switch
6. Fixed key cylinder but thinking of replacing.

Please I could use some help and will entertain any ideas possible...you never know.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chuwee

I have posted this problem on another forum but no one seems to know what it could be or what to do so I am here hoping some here can help me. What my problem is, is that my Deville does not start all the time. Currently it stopped about 3 months ago and since then I have not been able to start it up. I have replaced just about everything and am to the point that I am out of ideas of what it could be hence why I am here. I could really use some help on this sense I have dedicated so much money and time I would like to get this car working. Below are the symptoms and what I have done.

Symptoms:

Parts replaced:
1. Starter
2. Alternator
3. Battery
4. Park/Neutral switch
5. Ignition switch

Please I could use some help and will entertain any ideas possible...you never know.

how consistent is symptom #3 on your 1990 Deville ?
W/O any more info, I'm thinking VAT + wires + ign cyl, one or more of these.

Do you have AAA ? This is a partially covered item by AAA, they will reimburse part of the cost done by a lock smith and this is a candidate for a lock smith. Any item connected to the key system is covered and lock smiths are the folks that do it well.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth
how consistent is symptom #3 on your 1990 Deville ?
W/O any more info, I'm thinking VAT + wires + ign cyl, one or more of these.

The Vat + wires + ign cyl is what I am thing is my problem too. Symptom #3 is consistent every time that is why I replaced the two switch. 1. the Park/Nuetral was coming up on the codes plus my dad took the car before giving it to me to a mechanic and he had a bypass wire ran to it from the ignition switch. Plus the car had an old alarm system that was removed and the ignition switch was spliced into several times hence why I replaced it. Another clue was that sometimes when the car would not start I was able shake the steer wheel and at times it would start.

Anyway how can I fix this or is this strickly dealer?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

The Vat + wires + ign cyl is what I am thing is my problem too. Symptom #3 is consistent every time that is why I replaced the two switch. 1. the Park/Neutral was coming up on the codes plus my dad took the car before giving it to me to a mechanic and he had a bypass wire ran to it from the ignition switch. Plus the car had an old alarm system that was removed and the ignition switch was spliced into several times hence why I replaced it. Another clue was that sometimes when the car would not start I was able shake the steer wheel and at times it would start.

Anyway how can I fix this or is this strickly dealer?
I think you hit the nail on the head with item #3 ...

talk to a good LOCK SMITH, they will tell you over the phone if they can handle it and the cost .. unless you are really good with tools and complicated assemblies, I wouldnt touch the innards of the steering wheel, specially if your car is a mid-1990 with air bags. there is a reason the car is having these problems. make sure you mention item #3

the prior existence of an after-market alarm probably doesn't help matters.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Well I am handy with the tool hell I'm the one that works on this car since I got it from my dad and apart from this issue I have done the brakes, ball joints, tie rods, rack, seals, and radiator plus I have also disassembled the steering column twice to fix a turn sign issue then this.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Well I am handy with the tool hell I'm the one that works on this car since I got it from my dad and apart from this issue I have done the brakes, ball joints, tie rods, rack, seals, and radiator plus I have also disassembled the steering column twice to fix a turn sign issue then this.
when you take it apart this next time, INSPECT the Ignition Rack .. make sure it isnt cracked, better yet, replace it along with all new ignition wires (with proper size & color) in the column. all my cars have a tendency to break racks, most frail piece of pot metal I can imagen for such harsh duty - GM & Ford both.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth
INSPECT the Ignition Rack .. make sure it isnt cracked, better yet, replace it along with all new ignition wires (with proper size & color) in the column.
What is an ignition rack? I pretty much replaced everything except the key cyl. so I have not heard of an ignition rack...

Old 06-13-2009, 03:28 PM

Where can I find the starter relay and the deterrent modual?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

What is an ignition rack? I pretty much replaced everything except the key cyl. so I have not heard of an ignition rack...
it is a small "L" shaped pot metal part that is mechanically turned by the key & ignition switch and in turn transfers the motion to a linkage going down the steering column.

i dont know where your deterrent module is but in many a Cadillac is in the driver's door.

I advice that you get a FSM .. wonderful book to have, same book the GM Techs use ...
you can buy this one today for $25 .. a awesome low price considering that they can bring as much as $100 ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...sQ5fLiterature

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deville-Fleetwood-1990-Service-Information-Manual-Gene_W0QQitemZ110400388213QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item19b4603c75&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=65%3A16|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|30 1%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

http://www.techsourceky.net/mpmp234.JPG

Last edited by Stealth; 06-13-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Default Key cylinder security wires broken in column.

Symptoms:

Parts replaced:
1. Starter
2. Alternator
3. Battery
4. Park/Neutral switch
5. Ignition switch

My 1990 does this for ten minutes at a time. I replaced two starters before i decided it wasn't the starter. I had the electrical system checked and it all came through with flying colors. the security wires on the steering column have to be in good working order. I addition to that the key has to be in good shape. It has a security "key" built into it that can wear out. you can buy new keys at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Starting issue on 90 deville