General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issue on 90 deville

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by dirtworks
My 1990 does this for ten minutes at a time. I replaced two starters before i decided it wasn't the starter. I had the electrical system checked and it all came through with flying colors. the security wires on the steering column have to be in good working order. I addition to that the key has to be in good shape. It has a security "key" built into it that can wear out. you can buy new keys at the dealer.
Yes I have determined that the deterrent system is to blame. I have checked the keys with a volt meter and they are giving resistant and at the base of the column I get a resistant reading when I put the key. My issue is that I am still not getting power the the starter once I put the key in the run position. I checked the Key Enabler and thought that was the issue so I bought a new one but still I get no power on the yellow wire at the Key Enabler. So I checked the schematic on the FSM and the Key resister wires go into the Decoder then if the module detects the key is will open the switch for the enabler to get power. This is where I am now but I have not troubleshooted the module yet but I am thinking this sucker is the root of my trouble. Actually this is about the only thing I have not either replaced or checked yet. So now I need to find a place that sells the decoder but have not found in any of the parts stores is the dealer my only option???

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chuwee
Yes I have determined that the deterrent system is to blame. I have checked the keys with a volt meter and they are giving resistant and at the base of the column I get a resistant reading when I put the key. My issue is that I am still not getting power the the starter once I put the key in the run position. I checked the Key Enabler and thought that was the issue so I bought a new one but still I get no power on the yellow wire at the Key Enabler. So I checked the schematic on the FSM and the Key resister wires go into the Decoder then if the module detects the key is will open the switch for the enabler to get power. This is where I am now but I have not troubleshooted the module yet but I am thinking this sucker is the root of my trouble. Actually this is about the only thing I have not either replaced or checked yet. So now I need to find a place that sells the decoder but have not found in any of the parts stores is the dealer my only option???
i hope you have tried your spare key.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Yes I tried the spare but the spare is slightly bent and gets stuck. I did test the resistance on both keys and I was getting the same reading. Plus I checked the reading at the base of the column and get the key reading as soon as I put the key in the cylinder so I am getting a reading to the base now I have to test the reading at the decoder connection. What I am thinking is to go ahead and replace the decoder and cylinder together since the cylinder I currently have I had to fix broken wires.

Do you know if the decoder is a dealer item only?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chuwee
Yes I tried the spare but the spare is slightly bent and gets stuck. I did test the resistance on both keys and I was getting the same reading. Plus I checked the reading at the base of the column and get the key reading as soon as I put the key in the cylinder so I am getting a reading to the base now I have to test the reading at the decoder connection. What I am thinking is to go ahead and replace the decoder and cylinder together since the cylinder I currently have I had to fix broken wires.

Do you know if the decoder is a dealer item only?
on a 18 year old car, I doubt that the dealer would have anything unless it is used on a newer car .. VATS was discontinued long ago.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM

So where can I get a key decoder? Is it possible to bypass the decoder?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM

Wife just called Dealer and they quoted her $305 for the Decoder Module and $150 for the lock cylinder...OUCH!!! This is why I stay away from Dealers and do stuff myself. Hell for this age of car if this is costing that much I guess I will bypass there is no way I am paying that much. Now if I can find some other place to get them I will be happy...

Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 AM

Is there a way to read the resister setting set in the key decoder?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Certified Members

have u called a lock smith ?
if not, try that. Dont tell them what it needs but only tell them the problem.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM

I have the resistance to the key I just want to find out if the decoder has a different one or out right broken. Last night I metered the fuses and they are good and I did find a broken fuse in the fuse center but that hand nothing to do with the issue I have. As soon as I can I want to get to the decoder and check the connections making sure I am getting what I am suppose to get but seeing this little item is $305 from dealer and I have not found somewhere else you can buy I am looking at jumping the the decoder or try and fix which is why I want to see if you can get the resistance in memory or if you can flash the memory to reset the resistance. I just can't believe that the dealer is the only place to get this decoder...

Old 08-02-2011, 02:09 PM

I know this is late but wanted to finish the Thread and say I jumped at the switch near the steering column. I have not had an issue ever since. If I am correct I think a key without the chip will work now but who cares with this old car.

Quick Reply: Starting issue on 90 deville