General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM ON DIC

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Default SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM ON DIC

Everytime I start my 98 STS the DIC reads SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM and the security light is on constantly when started. I love the car but it is driving me nuts and I am tired of dumping money into it. Is there a way to simply turn off the security system all together? if so how do I do this? Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Default RE: SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM ON DIC

Had a similar problem, except my 99 caddy would not restart after the theft service message. Theservice guy at the dealership wired in a $6.00 resistor between the ignition wires under the console. Problem solved, he told me the ignition system has to wires that touch when you insert the key, over time the wires brake, this causes the computer to think the car is being stolen. Get it fixed quick or you'll go out one day and it won't start at all.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 AM

Had a similar problem, except my 99 caddy would not restart after the theft service message. Theservice guy at the dealership wired in a $6.00 resistor between the ignition wires under the console. Problem solved, he told me the ignition system has to wires that touch when you insert the key, over time the wires brake, this causes the computer to think the car is being stolen. Get it fixed quick or you'll go out one day and it won't start at all.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:08 PM

thanks for the reply its in the shop now and I will have them check it out.