General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Default rear end repair

Howdy, I have a 1984 fleetwood, with the 4.1 engine. I have been a member for a month or so. I have looked through the topics and ran across what I needed for this question, but I can not find it now. I have tried the search engine, no luck. The car has been sitting for several years in a barn, it was my wifes parents, it has only 88,000 miles and the interior is perfect. I have been working all the bugs out of it, new transmission, injectors, tune up, oil changes, had to replace the control for the climate control, the wipers work, they just will not shut off, I know what that is. I am getting the exhaust replaced. The car drives and runs great. Here is my question. I have to replace the ring and pinion, to get the correct gear ratio. My father inlaw swapped rear ends from a wrecking yard and the ratio is too high. At one time I found a topic that dealt with rebuilding the rear end, I can not find it, can someone help me with the specs on how to set up the rear end? I have rebuilt fprd rear ends before, so I am formiliar with them. Thanks for your time and all the great info on this site, Jim

Old 01-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: rear end repair

without specs, you count the teeth on the big gear and the small gear and divide ....

if you get a number less than 1, you divided the wrong way.

for the same ration, look for the same count which should be in just about every Cadillac car of the era.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: rear end repair

New or used ring and pinion? New or reusing bearings. What size axle in car?