General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Default Power Steering Leak

I own a 1983 Eldorado 4.1L V-8, 27500 miles & automatic.

I have a power steering leak. The unit does not make any noise and the Power Steering works just fine, but I have a pretty good leak, which is requiring adding Power Steering fluid every 250 miles or so.

I have taken the car to one local shop, who have insisted I replace the old unit with a brand new unit. They claim it is not worth the effort to do just a repair kit and it will be less expensive in the long run.

I will admit I am on a very tight budget. A rebuilt Power Steering Pump looks to cost around $150.00 plus core. The shop is telling me this is at least a 5 to 6 hour job.

I would appreciate some input.

Thank you,

Equalizer in Big Sky (with lots of snow)

Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Default RE: Power Steering Leak

I recently replaced the rack on my '94 SLS, but that's a Northstar andprobably more difficult than an Eldorado.

If you'll settle for a used onethey are really cheapat car-part.com and you'll probably find one at a salvage yard near you, most have a guarantee but you won't know if they're good until they're installed, and if that's as big a job as mine was you won't want to re-do it.

Obviously a seal kit will save you money, but most of the expense will be labor on the R & R, so I'd probably suck it up and get a re-man.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

Reman P/S pump is likely best choice due to age of car. Labor should be 2.6 hours x local labor rate. It is important that pulley is installed correctly, they tend to come off if they are not.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Thank you for your input.

Purchased a RM Unit from local NAPA for $59.75 & no core exchange. It took myself (I am also in a wheelchair) and my neighbor 6 hours to get the job done. Hardest part was pulling the Pulley off of the unit, before you can take the Power Steering unit off.

Everything seems to be working fine. Yes, it took much longer than an experienced person.

Think I saved $ by going this route.

Thank you again, and I guess case closed.

Equalizer in Big Sky