General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

intake pop and p085 code

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Default intake pop and p085 code

For the longest time (over 2 yrs) the car sometimes pops out the intake during starting and blows off the Northstar cover. It's been passing smog with flying colors, so I left it alone. Finally a P085 code came on. I found a leaking fuel pressure regulator, and replaced it. Starts and runs great now too. Only thing is the code keeps coming back. I've taken off the filter and cleaned the throttle body and ID, cleaned the air filter (K&N), checked the voltage on the TPS from idle to WOT, it was perfect. Watched as the IAC do it's thing. Yesterday I tried something different. I was safely driving in a rural area about 45, and I cleared the PMC codes, at 45, not letting it idle. The check engine soon light went out, then came back on. It had the same code. How can I get a throttle blade angle high at idle, when I don't even let it idle. I'm thinking about taking back off the beauty cover on the intake manifold and resealing it. Is there a seal kit for this, or is it use your own RTV?

Within a week both back windows and the driver's front windows quit working. I pulled the switch out and used peices of wires to operate the windows. The only one that worked with the hotwiring was the front passenger. All the rest sparked like they needed juice but nothing moved. All 3 motors bad in a week. I have no kids rolling them up and down playing with them. This doesn't make since for wearing out. I'm wondering if there's weak electrical connections in the doors? I've found I've spent a lot of time with poor electircal connections (Rear turn signals, rear brake lights, third eye brake light, blower motor wires melting...) on this car. Any advice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: intake pop and p085 code

Year and Model?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:36 PM

1994 Seville SLS with almost 177,000 miles.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Certified Members

Do you have FSM? You stated you checked tps at idle what was reading and how did you do it? Are you cycling key when pop occurrs? Have you checked min.air rate/ idle speed?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 PM

Wow, just about everything you asked I don't know. I don't know what FSM is, or how to check min. air rate/idle speed. The popping does not occur anymore, the fuel pressure regulator fixed it. I checked the TPS with the car off for resistance, and from idle to WOT there was no jumps and it was nice and smooth. I also checked the TPS voltage while the car was running.At idle the Chiltons manual, I think said it should be around .5 and it was .8. Also it went to 4.5 instead of 5.0 volts. Last night I went to PCM monitor, 001 (TPS), and noticed that at idle the degrees went to -2.8 everytime. I think the lowest it should've gone is 0.0, is this right? Thanks a lot for your interest in helping me, I really appreciate it!

Rick

Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

TPS reading is too low, you are correct it should read 0 or close to it. OEM sensor is not adjustable. How fast does engine idle? Check for vacuum leak(s) including vacuum harness plug at top of throttle body. Has the base idle screw or isc been adjusted? Any repairs prior to this concern occurring?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Engine idle seems normal, I'd guess 600-700. I hadn't done any maintenance prior to the light, but I believe it may be related to the intake popping. I found the gasket on the beauty cover I took off to check and replace the FPR was blown. I cleaned off the old gasket and applied a thin amount of RTV to top of the intake manifoldand another thin layer to the top of the fuel rail brackets. I don't know if it sealed, or not. Can I check the idle vacuum somewhere, if so, what's normal? I'm also wondering if it blew the throttle body seal too... But something I don't get, why is it negative, if I had a vacuum leak it seems like it would be positive as it's compensating for the leakage...

Rick

Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default GM Cadillac Factory Service Manual - FSM

ORIGINAL: leitthouse

Wow, just about everything you asked I don't know. I don't know what FSM is, or how to check min. air rate/idle speed. The popping does not occur anymore, the fuel pressure regulator fixed it. I checked the TPS with the car off for resistance, and from idle to WOT there was no jumps and it was nice and smooth. I also checked the TPS voltage while the car was running.At idle the Chiltons manual, I think said it should be around .5 and it was .8. Also it went to 4.5 instead of 5.0 volts. Last night I went to PCM monitor, 001 (TPS), and noticed that at idle the degrees went to -2.8 everytime. I think the lowest it should've gone is 0.0, is this right? Thanks a lot for your interest in helping me, I really appreciate it!

Rick
I hope this helps a little ...

Factory Service Manual

General Motors 3-volume service manual set for the199X Cadillac Seville STS and SLS. More than 3000 pages of repair instructions written by General Motors. It contains Diagnostic Information and Procedures, Schematics and Routing Diagrams, Component Locator, Repair Instructions, Description and Operation, Specifications, and Special Tools and equipment. Service information on HVAC, Body & Accessories, Restraints, Steering, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, Brakes, Engine and Transmission/Transaxle.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: GM Cadillac Factory Service Manual - FSM

PD1 shows throttle angle not volts. With isc retracted - not contacting throttle lever what is idle speed in PD11 should be around 500+/- 50 rpm. If it wont idle or idle is too fast. You need to find out why. If min air rate is ok try re-learning tps and idle

Old 02-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Default RE: GM Cadillac Factory Service Manual - FSM

Things are getting confusing now. PCM data 001 I refered to as degrees a few messages ago... Anyway, since it goes negative even without the ISC retracted, does this mean that the TPS is bad? Idle relearn will have no bearing on the TPS degrees, will it? If relearn doesn't reset TPS angle, then I'd think one of my problems issticking out like a sorethumbas the thing goes negative when I idle the engine.

Rick

Quick Reply: intake pop and p085 code