General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

northstar ticking and knocking

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Default northstar ticking and knocking

I have a 94 SLS w/ the 4.6 northstar engine. It has 108k miles on it. The engine ticks and knocks only after it warms up. It doesn't happen 'all' the time but most of the time after warming up. Sometimes if I drive it in 3rd gear at 60 mph for a while, the noise can go away. However, going back and forth to work, it seems to start ticking and knocking. The check engine light comes on every other day. However, it doesn't seem to come on consistantly with the knock or tick. Can't say for sure it's related. This comes on after the engine chokes a bit at a stop light...Any ideas on how to fix the ticking and knocking? I've tried marvel mystery oil in the crank case...after a tank of gas I put some sea foam in the crankcase as well. Nothing is helping.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Tech Certified Members

pull codes .. it sounds like low oil pressure, but need the codes.

does the engine light go out when you accelerate slowly? accelerate fast?

Originally Posted by thejohnson
I have a 94 SLS w/ the 4.6 northstar engine. It has 108k miles on it. The engine ticks and knocks only after it warms up. It doesn't happen 'all' the time but most of the time after warming up. Sometimes if I drive it in 3rd gear at 60 mph for a while, the noise can go away. However, going back and forth to work, it seems to start ticking and knocking. The check engine light comes on every other day. However, it doesn't seem to come on consistantly with the knock or tick. Can't say for sure it's related. This comes on after the engine chokes a bit at a stop light...Any ideas on how to fix the ticking and knocking? I've tried marvel mystery oil in the crank case...after a tank of gas I put some sea foam in the crankcase as well. Nothing is helping.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:07 AM

I pulled the codes from the console and received

P083
P110
S061

Regarding the light, it pretty much stays on until a restart the car. Once it's on, it may click off a few times but won't really turn off until the car has been shut off and restarted.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by thejohnson
I pulled the codes from the console and received

P083
P110
S061

Regarding the light, it pretty much stays on until a restart the car. Once it's on, it may click off a few times but won't really turn off until the car has been shut off and restarted.

Thanks
by those codes, you may have other issues .. but u didnt say if they are current of history.

you need do an oil change and install a quality filter, then check oil pressure ...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 AM

They all said History. If I change the oil, how do I check the oil pressure? Should I use a heavier oil like 20w50?

Thanks