General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just bought my first Cadillac few kinks to fix tho need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Default Just bought my first Cadillac few kinks to fix tho need help!!!

Hello everyone I just purchased a 2005 CTS with the 3.6 last week it is a high mileage car so there are a few things that need replaced but don’t know where to start.

1.) The headlight just went out the day after I bought it. They are hid lights and a new bulb didn’t fix it so I naturally returned the $100 bulb 😂 so I don’t really know where to go from there other than tearing into the wiring of my car I’ve owned for 3 days lol

2.) Experienced this last night at a low speed turning around on my street, after a sharp lower speed turn the car shuttered like an abs feeling and felt .. well concerning the service stability light came on as well.

3.) I do hear what I think is slight timing chain noise and was wondering how concerned I should be of that? I’ve heard theirs cars have chain issues.

And advice is greatly apritiated!! Thanks!!!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 PM

First: Its difficult at best for people here to assess the kind of issues you describe. Sometimes photos help but from what you said that's not an aid at this point. Are you able to down-load/read diagnosis codes ? If there are any, those will likely be very helpful.

Second: I recommend you get a Factory Manual for your car .... eBay, Amazon, etc. I found I also needed a Haynes Manual as that contains, in my opinion, more complete photos and descriptions about diagnosing and repairing issues. Both manuals offer step-by-step diagnosis and repair. If you're going to keep the car these will be a good investment and they can help your mechanic.

Third: If you don't have one, get a good analog electric meter. You'll need it to diagnosis electrical system conditions, plus you can use it around the house.

Last edited by Drbrown; 01-10-2018 at 11:40 AM.