General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identfying "L" engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Default Identfying "L" engine

Hi group,..does anyone know how to identify a "L" 300 horse engine from a "Y" 275 horse if you don't have the luxery of a vin# (engine in car)

Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Identfying "L" engine

the 300 hp would be out of a sts, and the 275 hp would be out of an sls, '99 seville..... wait.....something doesn't look right...???
Y is the 275hp, and 9, not L is the 300hp.... however, i am not sure if by looking one can tell a difference. maybe one of the certified techs in this forum can give you an idea. i have heard that the hp is regulated by the ECM engine control module, and that the engines are the same.......
rickyd

Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 AM

THANKS RICKYD,...I DO KNOW THATSLS AND PLAIN ELDORADO'S ARE 275 HORSE ANDSTS AND ELDORADO Touring Coupoes ETC's have the 300 horse because of different cams and the trans. is geared different,..I just want to know how to tell the difference if they are sitting on a pallet.
OJAIELDO

Old 12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

sorry guy.... i'm not sure how to tell them apart. my info came from our local caddy dealership that i am not too happy with anyway, so weather or not the info was right.....?????? ive a tech here that possibly would know, ill try to get with him and get back to you.
rickyd

ok..... just talked to my tech....he said you really cant tell the two apart, ( 275, or 300hp) he is saying the hp difference is thru air intake and with the engine control module.....
rick

Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Certified Members

The only way I know to figure out if its L37 '9' 300hp or a LD8 'Y' 275hp sitting on a pallet would be if sticker is still on engine either on block or rear valve cover which should have engine code and possibly L37 or LD8. Last part of vin should be stamped in to block or on metal tag attached to block. If trans is there, transmission code will aid in ID because although the intake cam and valve springs are the only differences in the 2 engines, the transmissions are very different. You may need some help found a dealer parts dept to interpret info or post what you find and we maybe help decode it.