General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I NEED HELP!!!! Random Misfires????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Default I NEED HELP!!!! Random Misfires????

I posted this in the Escalade forum first, then I saw the Tech forum...forgive me for the double post.

Ok, so here it is...I have a 2002 Escalade, 6.0L V8. It just passed a 100,000 miles with no know mechanical problems. About two weeks ago it started acting funny during rapid acceleration. IfI just coasted up to 40 or 50 MPH there was no issue, but as soon as I slam the gas to merge/pass or whatever, the engine would get louder but the MPHs and RPMs wouldn't increase; the check engine light would flash; and if I didn't let off the pedal I get this loud clicking/knocking sound. Once I let off the gas the sound would stop but I still couldn't accelerate.

It has gotten to the point now where it is pretty much un-drivable. The engine light remains on and it has a very rough idle. The only code that I am receiving from the engine light is P0300 - Random Misfire.

Here is what I have done so far...

- Replaced all plugs
- Replaced all plug wires
- Replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor
- Replaced the air filter
- Replaced the fuel filter
- Put injector cleaner in the tank
- Did a spark check on all coils

I am to the point where I think I may need to take it to the dealer because I am at a total loss. I am past the "simple" fixes and I fear that I am going to be getting into much more complicated repairs. The fact that it is a "random" misfire makes me believe that it isn't an injector, or coil, or anything that would normally result in one cylinder misfiring.

If there is anyone out there that has experienced a similar issue, or can think of any other explaination, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.