General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Cadillac crank sensors 2000 to 2003 - engine cuts out for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Default RE: engine cuts out for no reason

Wow. That sounds like my experience. Glad your wife was okay. Starts right up for me after it fails, then might run for two days fine. Was it an expensive repair?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: engnrng

from nhoskin: When your wife's car failed from the crank sensor, was it dead? Or was she able to start it up again?

She called Onstar, they performed a diagnostic, found the error (and other error codes with the torque convertor, see below), and told her to stay where she was - no mention of trying a restart. She was told it would be 45 minutes, but she was quite concerned about 70 mph cars whizzing by inches from her door, so she tried a restart, it started right up as if nothing had happened. YAY!! She made it home, I drove it to the dealer the next day, no 2nd engine quit during that time.

from slowroll: It's not a design flaw, change in manufacturer of crank sensor. BELEIVE ME, NO ONE BUILTS ANYTHING TO FAIL. CADILLC WANTS YOU TO HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR CARS.

I am a professional engineer, and work for a manufacturer of custom application industrial trucks, and I understand very well the design and build process and the too frequent visitations from Murphy. However, if you know the crank sensor problems are due to a change in manufacturer, and if Cadillac has known that for more than a few weeks (car is nearly 5 years old), then I must conclude they are not the least bit interested in me or my wife or other owners of that vintagehaving a good experience. If that was what they wanted, they would have sent out a recall, or at least notified dealers to recommend to change the defective ones at the next service - NOT WAIT UNTIL IT FAILED AND HOPE NO ONE GETS KILLED. I am used to paying for defective parts with Cadillac - had to pay for my water pump replacement at 52,000 miles (bad seal design was replaced with a better seal design, according to Service Manager - 2,000 miles too late to be covered by warranty). The company I work for stands behind their products. We shall see what Cadillac says about a failed transmission at 70k miles (post under Transmission forum).

Aerospace Engineer to Truck Engineer ...

As any engineer knows, perfection is unachievable and unfordable .. statistical evaluations in design is what we all do and as many things approach near perfection, although the cost soar, nothing ever reaches it.

we understand the fact that GM is moving slowly with its huge size, we know that there are bad apples in every barrel, we accept that in new technology there are failures - BUT PLEASE - do not generalize the millions with the downfall of the few .. please.

no car is perfect, no technology is perfect .. any and all, WILL let you down at some point. hell, walking across the street is a gamble, walking down the stairs is a gamble .. will you accuse stair makers or street workers?

we exist as site as any other site exists .. to address the risk factors and the issues of those cars and parts that are exceeding their expected life cycle or those that fell out of the standard deviation or to spot the failures of the car makers and even their reps.

however, this site, looks hard for friendly interaction, very hard - avoiding uncalled for discord.

please lets chill a little and lets step forward in harmony, before we start thinking bashing?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default GM Cadillac crank sensors 200 to 2003 RE: engine cuts out for no reason

ORIGINAL: slowroll

Crank sensors have high failure rate from 2000-03 model years, most of the time sets code. Being you just bought car how much history can you find out about car? Were you at Cadillac dealer when tech experienced stall?

Where can I get info on high failure rate of crank sensors? My wife's 2003 Seville (70k miles) quit on a bridge - very dangerous - turned out to be the crank sensor. Don't want it to happen again. Have they corrected the design flaw to reduce future failures?

Thanks!
Answer:

slowroll clearly stated 2000 - 2003 .. does that not make it clear that GM saw the problem and corrected it there on?

So you understand, I have tagged this thread as FAQ as the topic is important and IMO, this was a good discussion except for the negativity that we can all ignore ..

lets learn from the technical aspect and help other ..

=====================================

Now, if you all excuse me, I got to hit the store and get whatever we need so we dont have to run out in the middle of the game, halftime or the commercials ...

Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 PM

Engine has two crank sensors, an upper and lower, both about $70 each. Don't know the exact cost including labor - they are still working up the quote on the transmission - but the sensors are relatively easy to access. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Default RE: GM Cadillac crank sensors 200 to 2003 RE: engine cuts out for no reason

Thanks, Stealth. I am glad they have identified and corrected the problem for post-2003 products. I recommend that any owners of Cadillac 2000 to 2003 products have their crankshaft position sensors replaced soonest if they have not been already, in order to avoid a dangerous loss of control if the engine shuts down while driving.

Please, my original question intent was whether the flaw was corrected and would the replacement sensors have the same problem. It was my error (and I apologize that others were offended) to assume it was a design flaw. Apparently it was a manufacturing flaw, instead. I stand corrected.

I appreciate the wealth of information those who contribute to this forum provide - mostly to people who are deciding to buy, or are trying to solve a problem. Thank you all for your time, care, and concern!

My wife loves her Cadillac Seville. I would really appreciate any suggestions from all of you on other areas I can investigate, parts I can replace, precautions I can take to make sure her experience is as GOOD as Slowroll believes Cadillac wants it to be.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: GM Cadillac crank sensors 200 to 2003 RE: engine cuts out for no reason

Thanks, Stealth. I am glad they have identified and corrected the problem for post-2003 products. I recommend that any owners of Cadillac 2000 to 2003 products have their crankshaft position sensors replaced soonest if they have not been already, in order to avoid a dangerous loss of control if the engine shuts down while driving.

Please, my original question intent was whether the flaw was corrected and would the replacement sensors have the same problem. It was my error (and I apologize that others were offended) to assume it was a design flaw. Apparently it was a manufacturing flaw, instead. I stand corrected.

I appreciate the wealth of information those who contribute to this forum provide - mostly to people who are deciding to buy, or are trying to solve a problem. Thank you all for your time, care, and concern!

My wife loves her Cadillac Seville. I would really appreciate any suggestions from all of you on other areas I can investigate, parts I can replace, precautions I can take to make sure her experience is as GOOD as Slowroll believes Cadillac wants it to be.

With several cars to my name, I can tell you they are safer and more reliable today than the same cars were 15 years ago when they were much newer. We have ID many issues that went unresolved, either by design, by manufacturing, or by incorrect maintenance procedures.

We dont always agree with GM .. we often do better than GM when it comes to maint and procedures. We are smaller and can maneuver quickly. GM cant.

No offense was taken, but i ask for a bit of patience as we all win when an issue is resolved. You win, the next guy wins.

I do agree with your comment . highlighted.
IT is a fairly cheap fix/prevention for a grand automobile.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:23 AM

To close the loop on the original question, it certainly was the crank sensors. When I descibed the problem to the check-in desk at the Dealer, the guy immediately said it's probably the crankshaft position sensors. He said the fact that it would start right up after a stall is the classic symptom. Cost me about 150 for both sensors and 400 even including labor. I also had fuel induction service. I thought it ran smoothly before (except for the sporadic stall) but now it's even better. Love it.

Thanks all for your input.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting the final resolution, this whole post will be of help to many others I'm sure.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Certified Members

bumped .. seen a few crank sensors lately.

ORIGINAL: nhoskin

To close the loop on the original question, it certainly was the crank sensors. When I descibed the problem to the check-in desk at the Dealer, the guy immediately said it's probably the crankshaft position sensors. He said the fact that it would start right up after a stall is the classic symptom. Cost me about 150 for both sensors and 400 even including labor. I also had fuel induction service. I thought it ran smoothly before (except for the sporadic stall) but now it's even better. Love it.

Thanks all for your input.