General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fuel probs on my 68 fleetwood!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Default RE: fuel probs on my 68 fleetwood!

Thanks for your help Kat! Visited the Canadian heater site. Nice but I think I'll try to get the correct part!
Everything else seems to be present so maybe just putting back the correct valve will sort things. Never seen one on ebay yet tho!!!---Here's lookin!
Best Wishes, Kev.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

I take it car was built with a/c. Air delivery doors are vacuum controlled there should be 2 vacuum hoses at firewall 1 will suppy vacuum to control head the other comes from control head to apply vacuum to hot water valve to stop coolant flow to heater core when control is set to full cold. The vacuum supply hose is likely connected to a vacuum can of some sort and there would be a 2nd hose which should have manifold vacuum.With hot water valve it should be 5/8" or 16mm in and out I believe it should be" L" shaped they where used thru the 81 on the big block cars and into the mid 80s 6.0L comercial (limo and hursts).If it needs to be straight one from a 85-87 fwd deville will work but wont look correct.I need a little more info to help with your dangling loose ends.Hope it helps

Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 AM

Hi sooopa member!
Thanks for your interest.
My dangling vac lines all finish dangling in the same area,so I would assume they were all going to the same place before the hcv was removed.
I have a yellow,purple and red coded vac line. the yellow has suction on running the motor. the other two are dormant until the temperature switch is turned to heat.
I can make out where the hcv sould be as the mounting bracket is still in place.
Where the valve should've been fitted in the heater hoses I have instead got an anti freeze filler!!
I think I just need one of these hcv and the knowledge of what order to put the vac lines onto it.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Certified Members

I had to do a little research into the three loose ends. Yellow hose should have a parallel vacuum circuit with a vacuum 3 port vacuum valve in it and yellow hose coming out.All three hoses meet at the hot missing hot water valve.Your hot water valve is kinda special it has thermal vacuum switch on it.As a temporary fix you can connect yellow hose to purple hose and block off red.That should get you heat. Ideally yellow is vacuum feed to thermal switch ,purple carries vacuum from switch back into car to hvac control when coolant temp reaches 120 degrees F, and red applies vacuum to hot water valve diaphragm to turn on or off the flow of hot water.Valves suggested earlier do not have provision for thermal switch.and original hot water valve is somewhat inline.Hope it helps

Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 PM

Thanks Slowroll. That's a great help!! Just managed to locate a nos item. Hoping this will do the trick. Thanks for the short term advice tho. I appreciate it. I'll keep you posted.