General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end shakes while applying the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Default Front end shakes while applying the brakes

I just had the first brake job done to my 02 DHS. The pads where replaced w/ oem's and also had the rotors turned for the first time. After 2000 miles, my front end started shaking when I braked on the freeway. So, I contacted the repair shop and notified them of the problem. They mentioned that they would probably have to turn my rotors again. After they inspected the vehicle they ended up turning the rotors again. It took care of the problem. Well 3000 miles later, hear I am again having the same problem. I'm not exactly sure what to do next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

HOTCADI

Last edited by HOTCADI; 04-17-2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: reworded my post
Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Certified Members

i would do the same thing you did the first time...... this time have new rotors put on...... or get a second opinion....
rickyd

Old 04-17-2009, 08:09 AM

hi,when you turned the front disc they loose the property to keep straight and they bended because the heat and more if they are hot and recived water may be on a car wash or water spot on the street,also very important,when you put the new ones clean the grease that comes to prevent rust on the new disc this can activate brake sensors like abs and traction control sistem,and very important too check the screws that holds the brake caliper,they are supose to move side to side,if not the car shakes,wastes only one pad and also can bend the disc because the friction its not equal on both sides of the disc.take care

att,abbyintegra

Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HOTCADI
I just had the first brake job done to my 02 DHS. The pads where replaced w/ oem's and also had the rotors turned for the first time. After 2000 miles, my front end started shaking when I braked on the freeway. So, I contacted the repair shop and notified them of the problem. They mentioned that they would probably have to turn my rotors again. After they inspected the vehicle they ended up turning the rotors again. It took care of the problem. Well 3000 miles later, hear I am again having the same problem. I'm not exactly sure what to do next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

HOTCADI

This is a perfect example why I recommend that the rotors are NOT to be touched. Both GM and FORD, in their dealer instructions recommend that only pads are installed unless the rotors are damaged in which case, to install NEW ROTORS.

This is a problem cuz most brake shops nag you to death on this issue of turning rotors, and so do the dealers. The only dealer that I has not nagged me on turning rotors has been Lincoln - go figure.

However, Ford and GM dealers WILL BACK OFF as soon as you tell them that their manuals state what I just said above. The manuals really do say that, IF they read them.

The independent brake shops take the "then there is no guarantee" attitude, at which point you can say, "I will look elsewhere".

I have never and will never allow any rotor to be turned. I dont care how much is glazed or whatever else they say to me. New pads, period. Unless the pads broke and the rivets cut the rotor (happens) and then I get a pair of matching axle set rotors.

Last edited by Stealth; 04-17-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:21 PM

Thank you guys so much for your feed back.

HOTCADI

Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 PM

I just had front brake pads and rotors changed on 2000 ETC that also had shaking similar to what you described. Totally fixed the shimmy. Rear pads changed also (first time). 106,000 miles.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jasartflan
I just had front brake pads and rotors changed on 2000 ETC that also had shaking similar to what you described. Totally fixed the shimmy. Rear pads changed also (first time). 106,000 miles.

May I ask how much were the ROTORS (parts cost, not labor) ?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Default Cadillac CTS same break problem

I have same kind of problem with my CTS, Stairing Wheel shaks when I apply break, in the morning it make nois too like some thing is grinding the roter. Then some time Traction light comes on indicating the break is heating up.
I boght whole set and probably change is myself this weekend. Cost me $120, for pads and new roters. rockauto.com