General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side power door lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Default Driver side power door lock

Howdy! I have a 1995 SLS and something has finally gone wrong... not serious though. The dspower door lock will notopen or close with the remote or the auto switch on the door. I actually have to use the key from outside and the manual switch from inside. All three other door locks work fine from both the remote and the auto switch on the door. Ithink the solenoid on the switch in the driver side door either has a bad connection(s) or a bad solenoid. Easy enough to check if I can get to it. Before I start ripping things apart I thought I wouldask to see ifI have to remove the whole door panel or if the black plastic surround where the door handle, locks etc., are, will pop off with a little prying. I do not want to break anything. Thanks.
Keith

Old 09-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Default RE: Driver side power door lock

Certainly somebody must have had their door panel off. Anybody?
Keith

Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM

The black plastic faceplate comes off, exposing the front of the switches but not the back. How does one repair theautomatic door lock?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:26 AM

I finally found a similar thread. Door lock is out, rubber boot is good, waiting for replacement actuator.
Keith

Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Default RE: Driver side power door lock (fixed)

Fixed.
The "new" actuator I got from O'Reilly was not new... how odd...and didn't work. Hmmm. Anyway, I cracked open the old one, cleaned it, spun it a few times, cleaned the contacts, glued it back together and it works fine. Don't know how long it will work, but it works. There's a little electric motor and a whole bunch of gears in there. They can get gunky. A sharp knife, a small screwdriver and a few gentle taps with a hammer and it came apart. Some superglue and clamps and it went back together. We'll see how long itstays together.
I did eventually find instructions on this board. Veryhandy! A couple of suggestions to make them better. 1) there are three screws/bolts holding the locking mechanism to the door, not two. 2) When reassembling, it's easier to remove the rods from the actuator assembly, install them in the door(they go up to the door handle), then install the lock and actuator and pop the rods onto it. The instructionsimply that you leave the short rods that go to the door on the lock/actuator mechanism. Very hard to do. 3) Label the long rods that go to the interior door handle so you know whichend goes in which part, etc. You can figure it out, but it would be easier if it was labelled!
It took a long time, but would have taken more if I hadn't found the instruction so thanks to the person who wrote them up.
Keith
1995SLS
p.s. why is the board replacing all apostrophes withdouble apostrophes (the look like quotes but are actually two apostrophes)and eliminating dashes?