General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

distributor problems

Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Default distributor problems

hi my name is Jim H. ;I own a well maintained 1995 sedan de ville with only 98k miles. I have had 3 remanufactured distributors installed in this car since July 2010, 2 of them within the last 60 days. The mechanics say it is the part, they check the cars computer and it tests ok. The first two were cam position sensor errors, the last error was no signal from distributor. These are remanufactured distributors from A1 Cardone. The 3rd distributor in now is probably going to fail also. The car runs as if the timing changed, hard starting, and occassional hesitation in accelerating. Please Help as I now no longer have a car I can rely on. This car has run perfect until these remanufactured distributors were installed. Any guidance or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I love the car. Can anyone give me any info if they have or had a similar problem or any suggestions on what to look for. Thank you Jim

Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Default Distributor

Sorry to hear of your dilemna, but in saying that I have found in the past that you just cannot cheap out on electrical components. You should always go OEM when it comes to these type of parts. Past experience will now teach you that too. I have had many issues with MAF sensors, distributor caps, etc etc. Now I go strictly OEM on electrics.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Default can't find a oem distributor

thanks for the reply, unfortunately I am having difficulty locating a oem distributor for that year car. its a 1995 with a 4.9 liter v8. I even called the dealer and they use a supplier that has the same remanufactured part from A1 Cardone. I can't find a oem distributor. Jim

Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Default Distributors

Hey there: I soon realized your plight when hunting for this particular distributor, they just don't seem to be out there. Would you be able to get a Mallory or an Excell to fit this car?? They are a bit more high perf. distributors but I managed to find one to fit my van. which is a GM. Good luck with all of that.