General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain Draw.....sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Zynder
Go park the car near somewhere you can sit awhile, preferably at night. Pull up a chair on the porch. Ensure all the doors are closed on the vehicle. Watch the interior lights. If they come on for 20 secs then turn off and repeat that every minute then your interior lighting module has crapped out. This module may also be known as the RAPIE module. You can't buy new ones This was the source of my Seville's battery drain though mine was a 92 model and on your 98 they may have eliminated it. You'll know it's the problem if the interior lights blink on and off though.

THIS is what my '95 D-Evil is doing....it's taken me a couple of years to figure it out, but then I started noticing the interior lights would come on while driving down the road, or after parking it for the night. Mine is a little weird, tho, in that when they come on while driving, I can push OUT on the driver door, and they go off.....and then a few minutes later, they might come back on. Very erratic. I only drive this one when the weather keeps me from riding the Goldwing, so it's not a "gotta fix" deal for me. I also have a booster box in the car for those(rare) times when it kills the battery during the day at work. If I am not going to drive the car for a couple of days, I disconnect the battery. Just too lazy to dig any deeper on it....

Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Default Rapie tsb

To fix it see the below attached TSB. The issue stems from the switch in the door handle being grounded all the time. That is why it clears when you push out on the door. You can't buy new door handle switches or the RAPIE module and taking the handle out to try and fix them yourself is a royal pain. So the new RAPIE mentioned below ignores those switches. I bought one off ebay for $20. Search specifically for that part number listed. RAPIE module doesn't usually show any hits but the PN will.

EDIT: I just noticed you have a 95 model. That model should already have the 2nd gen RAPIE module. However it still sounds like you may need another one.

----BEGIN TSB----
SUBJECT:
INTERIOR LIGHTS CYCLE ON/OFF OR INOPERATIVE ILLUMINATED ENTRY

MODELS AFFECTED:
1992 ELDORADOS AND SEVILLES

This bulletin supersedes Service bulletins T-92-3 and T-92-115 which should be discarded. This bulletin is being revised to correct one of the Labor Operations
The 1992 Eldorados and Sevilles built before the VIN breakpoint and equipped with the first generation RAPIE module listed below, will continuously turn on the interior lights for a timed cycle, turn them off, and then back on if the door handle/RKE input is shorted to ground causing a discharged battery.
The 1992 Eldorados and Sevilles built after the VIN breakpoint or equipped with the second generation RAPIE module listed below, will disable the illuminated entry feature if the door handle/RKE input is shorted continuously to ground.
VIN Breakpoint
Eldorado .............. 608125Seville ................ 810997
RAPIE P/N
2nd Generation ........... 12135007
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
To diagnose these conditions check for a short to ground at the RAPIE module terminal A7. Refer to Service Information Manual Section 8A-114 for circuit diagram, and Section 8A-201-32, Figure A for component location. The short to ground may be caused by a shorted door handle switch (P/N 16626131), malfunctioning RKE module, or circuit 157.
----END TSB----

Last edited by Zynder; 05-23-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

THANK YOU for that info!!!! I new it had to be in the door handle, since there are no pin-switches in the jambs anywhere. At least now I can dig a little deeper into it, when/if I get in the mood! Thanks again.