General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Auto Theft System coming on

Old 07-16-2006, 03:39 AM
Default Auto Theft System coming on

I have a '96 Eldo. When I go to start the car, the "info" says "starter disabled", "remove ignition key", and "wait three minutes", "auto theft system". After waiting is says "start engine".
And, I start the engine. This is an intermiten problem, but the frequency of events are happening more. Any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Default RE: Auto Theft System coming on

It looks like your ignition cylinder is about to give out on you. I have a 99 deville and I used to get the same message. It happened a couple of times but the last time it happened the message said "starting disabled,remove key". I was left stranded and had to tow my car to the dealer.The dealer said it was the cylinder so I had it replaced.So I suggest you go to your local caddy dealer and get that checked out before it quits on you. I hope this helps you out.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:01 PM

I think you hit the key on the head. Talked to a dealer wrench turner and he says the Reason most of the time the tumblers wearout inside the ignition switch, is caused by to many keys on the key ring, and over years it takes its toll. Out of curiosity he met with the owners after completing repair and asked to see their key. Turns out a majority had way too many keys, silver dollar, mini mag lites, remote, bullet, extra chains, etc. hanging down being supported by the ignition switch. After thinking about that, it would only make sense for the designers and engineers of the key and switch with tumblers to keep it compatible for the maximum strentgh of JUST the key.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:55 PM

Sailboat Mike,

I was told about not having too many keys hanging from an ignition when I first started driving, but I never heard of any cases of it actually causing some kind of problem. I have a habit that I started years ago of using only my ignition key, and separating the rest of the keys, and placing them in my pocket. It's good to hear of a situation like this, so thanks for posting!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 AM

i also have a possible issue with my key cylinder going bad...........does anyone out there know where i can buy a new cylinder and the keys that go with it???? i know the dealership can order them but does anyone know of a cheaper online place that sells the kit and then i could just pay the dealership to install it?