Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

HELP!! THEFT SYSTEM DISABLES STARTER...EVERYDAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Default HELP!! THEFT SYSTEM DISABLES STARTER...EVERYDAY!!

When starting my '90 Seville, I get a message that states "Starter Disabled Due to Theft System....Wait 3 Minutes". After waiting 3 minutes it says "Start Car" but it actually makes me wait ANOTHER 3 minutes until it starts. Sometimes it makes me "wait 3 minutes" 5 to 6 times in a row (do the math...thats 15-20 minutes!!) It occurs sporadically which means probably the theft system has become faulty. When this occurs again, how can I remedy it? Can the theft system be disabled permanently? I dont want this problemto get the wife stranded somewhere.Please help! thanks.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Default RE: HELP!! THEFT SYSTEM DISABLES STARTER...EVERYDAY!!

I have a 1992 seville and mine does the same thing. I took it to the dealer and got a new key thinking it was the problem. A guy at the dealership told me that it was the ignition itself. He said that over time the wiring had probably became fragile or twisted and when I tried to start it, it didn't register as being the right key. I decided to let it ride since I didn't have the money at the time to get that fixed. Hope this helps even a little.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

The key is a good place to start. I also just raise the possibility that the car is not being properly engaged in park. This could be an issue related to age and slack. Just make sure you get it firmly shifted into park. If your wife has her own key chances are it is not used as much so it may never act up on her.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:05 PM

My 91 seville did that same thing several times, and it left me hanging often. I tried the usual pushing it further into park, turning the wheel while trying to start the car. I ended up taking it to a dealer who told me it was the ignition wires in the steering column that needed replace at $400, then after that was fixed he told me it was the antitheft control box under the dash that was bad for another $388. Then when I went to pick it up it would not start, they pushed it back in the garage and said they forgot to program the new model, then it worked for several months. It started doing it again, and they said the module was under war. so they replaced it again for free, so far it is working. But now my inside air only blows down and on defrost, no air out at me thru the vents, must be a vacuum leak somewhere, any ideas?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 AM

It is your ignition. You have the PASS key with the chip. there are two wires coming off the back of the ignition inside the column. one is starting to break. The chip in your key lets a specific voltage through the ignition system to the computer(varies) without the completion of the circuit(correct present voltage) the car goes into theft deterrent mode.the wires encounter movement inside the column when the ignition is turned, creating a bad wire. the ignition can be easily changed.the cylinder is about $25, the new key is $30 I'm sure the dealer can charge alot for this, and try to associate it with other things, other than the ignition, but it is highly impossible that it is. there is a special tool that AutoZone will rent you to pull your airbag, so you can access the ignition from the inside. The Haynes manual will guide you through this process. you have to purchase the ignition through a GM dealer, and you need to take your present key, and they put it in their key reader, and they will know what chip is needed in your new key, so it sends the correct voltage to the computer. NO NEW computer programming is ness. I read a response that their car didn't start and the dealer had forgot to reprogram the comp. (LIE) they said that because they forgot to connect the wires on the ign. and didn't want to look like dumb asses. (Or charge you$$$). This is something you can repair in your driveway in a couple of hours, with no help. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

or you can look in our FAQ section and do the bypass listed there.