General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 SRX battery suddenly dead.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Default 2016 SRX battery suddenly dead.

Have had my 2016 SRX and recently battery went completely dead with no warning. I have had battery problems in other cars. You get a warning? Some light on the dash?

I see the red battery symbol comes on along with all the other lights and goes off as well. I checked the battery and it shows, on my multimeter, that it is dead.

I put in another battery and it seems fine.

Do these batteries just suddenly die? No warning?

Any ideas?
Bill

Old 10-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

No, the batteries usually don't just discharge themselves without warning, or at least some slow cranking.

Most likely you had something drain the battery after turning it off. First checks are any adapters or chargers plugged in to power outlets and USB ports, then making sure a dome light or other light didn't get left on. Short of these, it's possible a malfunction caused a control module or component to stay on incorrectly. If it happens again it may take some electrical diagnostic to trace down where the problem lies.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by dtcassist
No, the batteries usually don't just discharge themselves without warning, or at least some slow cranking.

Most likely you had something drain the battery after turning it off. First checks are any adapters or chargers plugged in to power outlets and USB ports, then making sure a dome light or other light didn't get left on. Short of these, it's possible a malfunction caused a control module or component to stay on incorrectly. If it happens again it may take some electrical diagnostic to trace down where the problem lies.
Not sure. The battery is 4 years old. I put in a fresh battery and it works fine. I will check the codes in a few days. Did not know that there was a "Procedure". Now my cruise control does not work. Possibly other things.